Cole Palmer

In a way does it matter if a contract is 5, 10, 15, 20 years unless you want to get rid for football reasons. They probablyt have something in the contract that allows for long term injury or worse. It doesn't stop them from selling him either if someone can in.

In fact having really long contracts might make more sense as it's closer to a normal permenant employee contract (just that if you want to leave someone has to pay a gigantic fee).

Just been given a 2 year contract extension. He was already contracted until summer 2031.

What are they doing?

The important bit is he was given a big bump in wages.

Really not a huge difference between 6 and 8 years in the grand scheme of things.

I thought the amortisation was over a max.. of five years.

Yes but not for players signed before I think it was summer of 2023? So maybe Palmer squeezed in before the rule change, can't remember.

Yes but not for players signed before I think it was summer of 2023? So maybe Palmer squeezed in before the rule change, can't remember.
If he has just signed a new contract wouldn't that nullify his old one?

Edit: Either way, extending his contract won't extend the amortisation period.
Then again, I could be wrong.

If he has just signed a new contract wouldn't that nullify his old one?

Could be, to be honest.

Is extending an existing contract the same as cancelling the existing contract and signing a new one? I'm not sure.

Could be, to be honest.

Is extending an existing contract the same as cancelling the existing contract and signing a new one? I'm not sure.
Yes if the terms are different which they are in terms of pay and length , the old contract is cancelled and replaced with the new one

Feels like Palmer's going to have one of those seasons where he'll score fewer goals overall and won't contribute to as many big moments so the media will spend the entire season asking "What's happened to Cole Palmer?" Meanwhile his overall game will be improving. It's happened before.

Like when Ronaldo scored 42 goals in 2008 and then only 26 in 2009, and the media were analysing his body language and all that; or when Salah scored 44 goals in 2018 and then only 27 in 2019 and they raised all the same doubts. Then Ronaldo and Salah just carried on doing their thing.

It's just happened to Haaland as well.

I don't think Palmer's on Ronaldo, Haaland, or Salah's level. I think he still has big limitations to his game that will prevent him from reaching the top, top shelf for a long time. And I'm largely sceptical of his G/A contributions because stats only paint half a picture, but I think I'm gonna find myself defending him a bit this season.

Other players are gonna steal the headlines more often for Chelsea this season and so far Palmer's enjoyed being the main man. That might change this season but it'll do him the world of good going forward to be part of a system instead of being the person everyone turns to with that desperate look in their eye.

So I reckon he'll finish on somewhere between 15-20 goals. He'll probably get injured at one point and have to earn his spot back. Just little things that, in the short term will look like setbacks, but will be beneficial to his overall game. 25/26 will be the season when he hits his peak and now it's about how high that peak can be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.