Cole Palmer

Knowing pep he would need another 1-2 years to be good enough so props to Palmer he chose the right way.

Disagree completely, you can tell a rare player by the way he addresses the ball, receives with confidence, head up 'scouting' options - compare to Lewis' more frantic, hurried approach...the real player was always Palmer, balance first touch..etc game play would have come but we lost a rare talent lets be honest - anyone who has played can see his weight distribution when receiving the ball on half turn is impeccable, he can go both ways within half a yard of receiving it...rare ..very rare
You're basing this on his performances at Chelsea.

Was it he didn’t want to go out on loan or Pep didn’t want him out on loan? Either way, he didn’t want to stay and fight for a place.

He stayed and fought for 3 seasons hanging around the first team, going into his 4th season “in” the first team he wanted to know he was gonna play regularly or go on loan. I can’t understand how City fans are convincing themselves that was unreasonable? McAtee did the same last season, insisted on going on loan to play and the club let him.

If the club and fans expect 18 year olds as good as Palmer to hang around on the promise of a couple of league cup games a season while we buy first team players in their position until they’re 22 then 90% of them will leave. Given only the best 2/3 of each year group are even good enough to be around the first team like that, we’re gonna get an academy graduate come through every 5 years at best.

When Palmer left I said it would be a very expensive mistake for the club but it would be worth it if they learned their lesson because we’ve got a lot of kids 15 and up who have as much talent but likely won’t stick around for years and years to get their chance.

Pep has a tendency to underrate academy players without experience, but he also doesn’t want them on loan, which is putting them in a catch 22. Whether it’s with Pep or after he’s gone, the club needs to find a better way of transitioning players from the academy to the first team if they want a core of academy grown players in the team as they’ve repeatedly said they do because it won’t happen with the current rate of one kid coming through every 5 years or so.

You're basing this on his performances at Chelsea.

Obviously?! We (fans and the club) judge 99% of players on their performances for other clubs so I’m not sure how this is the gotcha you think?

We didn’t sign Doku, Nunes, Gvardiol etc on performances for City did we?

This fucking thread just keeps going round and round in circles.

He's gone ffs !

giphy%20(1).gif

He stayed and fought for 3 seasons hanging around the first team, going into his 4th season “in” the first team he wanted to know he was gonna play regularly or go on loan. I can’t understand how City fans are convincing themselves that was unreasonable? McAtee did the same last season, insisted on going on loan to play and the club let him.

If the club and fans expect 18 year olds as good as Palmer to hang around on the promise of a couple of league cup games a season while we buy first team players in their position until they’re 22 then 90% of them will leave. Given only the best 2/3 of each year group are even good enough to be around the first team like that, we’re gonna get an academy graduate come through every 5 years at best.

When Palmer left I said it would be a very expensive mistake for the club but it would be worth it if they learned their lesson because we’ve got a lot of kids 15 and up who have as much talent but likely won’t stick around for years and years to get their chance.

Pep has a tendency to underrate academy players without experience, but he also doesn’t want them on loan, which is putting them in a catch 22. Whether it’s with Pep or after he’s gone, the club needs to find a better way of transitioning players from the academy to the first team if they want a core of academy grown players in the team as they’ve repeatedly said they do because it won’t happen with the current rate of one kid coming through every 5 years or so.
I agree to the fact that Pep doesn’t give many Academy players much of a chance, while bringing ones in. In fact Foden is more an exception to the rule. It was always going to come and bite us back that one day, one of these players would shine at another club. However, I don’t think Pep or whoever, would say they made a mistake with Palmer. He’s left and that’s that.

Was it he didn’t want to go out on loan or Pep didn’t want him out on loan? Either way, he didn’t want to stay and fight for a place.

He asked if he was gonna play first team more regularly, and if not he would like a loan. Pep said until he knows what was happening with Bernardo and mahrez he is going "nowhere" once marhez said he is off and Bernardo said he'd stay a loan was mooted. Burnley were incredibly close (agreement in place) then Chelsea came in with what the club thought was a great offer the loan was withdrawn and Cole was basically given the choice of go to Chelsea or stay and be behind the replacement we have brought in.

And for all the people on here saying we are only regretting Coles sale because of how he's playing I'm afraid to tell you that pep thinks the same way too.

He's gone, we can't change that. I wish him well and know for a fact that he will always love this club and his time here.

Obviously?! We (fans and the club) judge 99% of players on their performances for other clubs so I’m not sure how this is the gotcha you think?

We didn’t sign Doku, Nunes, Gvardiol etc on performances for City did we?
His point was the false narrative that Palmer would be providing the same production with us as he is at Chelsea.

You cannot extrapolate what Palmer would consistently produce in our system based on what he is producing in a completely different system (which gives him freedom, and focuses play through him, which would have not happened at City).

Much of the “analysis” being offered in this thread also completely ignores other effects on Chelsea performances/results from his presence, which played a part in Pep’s assessment (and thus treatment) of Palmer.

And the stenches of hindsight and confirmation biases permeate this thread, as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.