Cole Palmer

Obviously?! We (fans and the club) judge 99% of players on their performances for other clubs so I’m not sure how this is the gotcha you think?

We didn’t sign Doku, Nunes, Gvardiol etc on performances for City did we?
His performances at City in the season before he left were pretty average although he was hampered by injury and being played out of position. The strengths he has shown for Chelsea were evident at EDS level. I'll admit I thought that quite a few of his goals at that level were due to poor keeping standards but I was wrong and he is the real deal.

His accurate and calm finishing would be a great weapon against the low blocks we frequently face and, if he had been able to show this form for us, he could have replaced KdB which is quite remarkable.

Obviously?! We (fans and the club) judge 99% of players on their performances for other clubs so I’m not sure how this is the gotcha you think?

We didn’t sign Doku, Nunes, Gvardiol etc on performances for City did we?
But the point of my post was that Palmer's performances at City didn't indicate he was going to become someone capable of producing a 40 G/A season.

If the plan was always for Savinho and Bobb to be on the RW with foden as a CAM…. Makes our decision to sell him ever more baffling, as he pretty much would’ve been the starting winger on that side.

He stayed and fought for 3 seasons hanging around the first team, going into his 4th season “in” the first team he wanted to know he was gonna play regularly or go on loan. I can’t understand how City fans are convincing themselves that was unreasonable? McAtee did the same last season, insisted on going on loan to play and the club let him.

If the club and fans expect 18 year olds as good as Palmer to hang around on the promise of a couple of league cup games a season while we buy first team players in their position until they’re 22 then 90% of them will leave. Given only the best 2/3 of each year group are even good enough to be around the first team like that, we’re gonna get an academy graduate come through every 5 years at best.

When Palmer left I said it would be a very expensive mistake for the club but it would be worth it if they learned their lesson because we’ve got a lot of kids 15 and up who have as much talent but likely won’t stick around for years and years to get their chance.

Pep has a tendency to underrate academy players without experience, but he also doesn’t want them on loan, which is putting them in a catch 22. Whether it’s with Pep or after he’s gone, the club needs to find a better way of transitioning players from the academy to the first team if they want a core of academy grown players in the team as they’ve repeatedly said they do because it won’t happen with the current rate of one kid coming through every 5 years or so.

Tbf…I’m not entirely sure the sale of Cole is on Pep.

I’m sure i read somewhere maybe it was from Tolm that the majority of the coaching staff included Pep wanted Cole to stay.

However, it was a financial decision most likely directed by Soriano to cash in when Chelsea offered the dosh. Think Pep was simply reiterating what was relayed to him that Cole either stays or gets sold since the board weren’t happy to loan him out.

I agree with others on here Cole didn’t really grab his first team opportunities like Foden did.

I do remember him having a great game against Swindon Town & outshining Grealish’s debut at the Community Shield a few years ago. Was at the Brentford game during our Treble winning season where he was non-existent & really was a game he should have taken by the scruff of the neck.

Before the move he was a talented kid with a few nice touches but I don’t even think Chelsea could predict his trajectory since the move. It’s like he’s transformed from a boy to a man.

Watching his interviews right from his EDS it’s obvious he’s just a kid that’s wants to play football wherever & was reportly willing to go on loan before Chelsea stepped in since he wasn’t getting enough game time in his mind from City which is fair assessment.

I wish him well & I do think City could have done more to keep him as I know most fans would have loved to see both Foden & Palmer local lads tearing it up for City in the same team. But it wasn’t meant to be & perhaps the club now are paying closer attention to Rico, McAtee & Bobb to ensure mistakes are learnt from the past & less reluctant to cash in on potential future stars.

He looks good at the moment, but i'd like to see him do it against top teams which I dont think he has yet. Chelsea go to anfield in a few weeks. Lets see how he gets on there (and i will be rooting for him to bury the m-fuckers)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.