Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

I think for younger fans like myself, it's hard to comprehend how much Colin Bell meant to the club. I've never seen fans of other clubs eulogise about a City player like this though. So many people saying he was their favourite player outside of the club they supported.

RIP Colin Bell. Legend.
I'm old enough to have seen him but yes it's quite heart warming to see supporters of other clubs joining bm to give their condolences.

I think for younger fans like myself, it's hard to comprehend how much Colin Bell meant to the club. I've never seen fans of other clubs eulogise about a City player like this though. So many people saying he was their favourite player outside of the club they supported.

RIP Colin Bell. Legend.

Fans from a different era. Appreciated the love of the game and a class player when they saw one, and an honest, humble family man. When a player like that passes like this it doesnt matter what colour you follow at a weekend. You appreciate what an amazing human being he was on and off that pitch.

Still gutted! I remember King Colin attending a Church Christmas market in Levy in December 1976 and seeing him moving around on crutches made us all wonder if he'd ever play again? The primal roars (from the gut up) all over the Kippax when he made his appearance versus Newcastle on Boxing Day 1977 was a brilliant occasion. It was all a major loss to City, England (he was a key player at the time) and to Colin's appearance ambitions. A sad loss. Commiserations to his family...

For me Colin was "the one", that one player that was loved above any other. We've had great players before and since Colin's era (Trautmann to Aguero and Silva) but Colin was special. He was the complete footballer on grass, mud or ice. He could do the lot, all with seemingly effortless grace.

Off the pitch, as others have said, he was a gentleman. I had the pleasure and honour of meeting him a few times, as a 9 year old open mouthed and wide eyed kid in the mid 1970's asking for an autograph up to more recent times some 5 or so years ago.

It feels like a piece of our club died with Colin's passing. There will never be another "King" and I for one wouldn't want there to be.

At this very sad time I hope Colin's family, friends and team mates can take some comfort and pride in how much Colin was loved and admired by all connected with MCFC.

RIP Colin and thanks for all those wonderful memories.

I was fortunate enough to see him play - a big part of my youth

Also seen him often in recent years in his new role with the club - I have a lovely picture of my daughter with him a few years ago

So sad

RIP the King - tonight I will drink a drink......

Last edited:
thought he would be willowy in style using his skill to ride caveman challenges. He did but he was also tough as an ox and had pace!

He was able to ride out a lot of hard tackles. He was that rare thing, a naturally gifted footballer in the body of a superbly toned athlete.

Not doing the big blue thing or anything,but for those of you who didn’t see him live and in full flow, it’s difficult to convey the air of authority and charisma he had on the pitch.

He didn’t know it. He just went about his business.

I had tears welling up last night when I read the news. And I’m not a man that cries at all easily.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.