Colin Bell RIP - Ian Cheeseman interview with Jon Bell (P142)

So sad to hear of Colin Bell's passing. He was one of the great players of that era and I saw him play many times against us. My dad knew him from the Bell-Waldron restaurant in Whitefield. My dad had an interest in a small business in the same complex and ate in the restaurant frequently. I went in one time wearing a red and white scarf and Colin Bell asked me with a grin if I wanted tickets for City's next home match.

I remember the game at our place in March 1968. We were defending the title and had won at Maine Road earlier on. Best scored in the first minute but Bell equalized shortly after then ran the game. City won 1-3 and the rest is history. He was the natural successor to Charlton in the England side and who knows what honours he might have won if England hadn't lapsed into chaos after Ramsey.

RIP Colin. You'll be missed by us as well.

So sad to hear of Colin Bell's passing. He was one of the great players of that era and I saw him play many times against us. My dad knew him from the Bell-Waldron restaurant in Whitefield. My dad had an interest in a small business in the same complex and ate in the restaurant frequently. I went in one time wearing a red and white scarf and Colin Bell asked me with a grin if I wanted tickets for City's next home match.

I remember the game at our place in March 1968. We were defending the title and had won at Maine Road earlier on. Best scored in the first minute but Bell equalized shortly after then ran the game. City won 1-3 and the rest is history. He was the natural successor to Charlton in the England side and who knows what honours he might have won if England hadn't lapsed into chaos after Ramsey.

RIP Colin. You'll be missed by us as well.
Thanks for that, he was a great footballer, but having met the man a couple of times, he was a wonderful man.

Joe Mercer didn’t rate him enough to sign him it was Big Mal who persuaded him Joe soon changed his mind and admitted he was wrong My old man said that Doherty was better, like you say he must have been some player
I don’t think it was a case of sir Joe not rating Nijinsky.

It was more that he backed Big Mal's judgement on players. They really were a team of two equal halves.

Although in the Lee, Bell, Summerbee video, Malcolm said that during one of Colin's first matches for City, Joe asked him, "Why did we pay £45 000 for him? He terrible?"

Rest in peace King Colin!

Like many others have said, whilst I’m sadly too young to have seen his football, it’s always been clear to me, as it is to young city fans of today, and as it will be for young city fans of the future, just what an impact this man had on our club and also on all of the people who were fortunate enough to meet him, know him or love him.

Colin will always be remembered as our greatest legend, and we’ll cherish everything he did for us.

Thoughts are with his family and friends

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.