Colour Quota in French football

Blue Haze said:
This is incredibly racist. If France does this, they should be banned from European competition.

No different than what we do in this country - we call it positive discrimation only it tends to be the other way around ie not enought women or ethnic minorities in politics or at the top level of business or in police forces then exclude those people whom we have too many off (normally white males and females) and give the jobs / opportunities to everybody else

Its all bollox to me cant stand it - if you are good enough then you should be given that opportunity regardless of religion - colour - sex or age

dctid said:
Its all bollox to me cant stand it - if you are good enough then you should be given that opportunity regardless of religion - colour - sex or age

I agree with you. Nobody should be discriminated against because of those reasons nor should someone get a job strictly because of one of those reasons.

However there is certain segments of society that have in the past and continue to be shut out certain segments. Just because there are clear cut discriminations (ala no blacks here) doesn't mean they don't exist. As society our goal should be to eliminate these blocks so that EVERYONE irregardless of their background gets fair shake. This won't just happen and we need to take steps to make sure it does.

For example in the NFL the majority of the players are black and have being for decade. However into the 2000s there were only 1 or 2 coaches in 30 league team. How can you explain this? Do you think there were no qualified black coaches? There was systemic discrimination in the NFL. In 2003 there was rule implemented where every opening you needed to at least interview a minority candidate. This was not to say hire black coach just so you meet certain "quota". The result was more black coaches were hired. And guess what? The black coaches were just as competent as white coaches. In fact 3 out of the past 5 years have contained black super bowl coaches with them winning 2, which is remarkable given how few black coaches there in the league.

So is my point hire minorities just because they are a minority? NO! But whenever there is disconnect between the ratio of minorities in certain segments we should examine it and try to address it by removing the barrier that is preventing them from entering this field.

jpargo said:
It is fine if they want to investigate why French football is not producing "white" players on the national team. I would be interested to know why as well. However as far as I can tell there is systemic discrimination against these players. In fact limiting the percentage of minorities on the national team is not only discriminatory but bluntly racist.

Its to do with society. In France, where there is a problem with institutional racism, minorities often don't get the chances the majority population enjoy, so sport, particularly football is encouraged, and seen as a way of expressing themselves, and showing their talents. In poor areas of Marseille, and Paris, (which are dominated by minorities) football may be your only chance at doing well for yourself.

Just watch Platini and Blatter criticise France over this. Oh wait, they won't. The French can do no wrong in their eyes and instead the English will be blamed, in particular the Premier League. Then they'll implement even more sanctions on us.

surely this is a wind up ???.if not its gonna be good seeing twatini give his views on this

jpargo said:
dctid said:

I agree with you. Nobody should be discriminated against because of those reasons nor should someone get a job strictly because of one of those reasons.

However there is certain segments of society that have in the past and continue to be shut out certain segments. Just because there are clear cut discriminations (ala no blacks here) doesn't mean they don't exist. As society our goal should be to eliminate these blocks so that EVERYONE irregardless of their background gets fair shake. This won't just happen and we need to take steps to make sure it does.

For example in the NFL the majority of the players are black and have being for decade. However into the 2000s there were only 1 or 2 coaches in 30 league team. How can you explain this? Do you think there were no qualified black coaches? There was systemic discrimination in the NFL. In 2003 there was rule implemented where every opening you needed to at least interview a minority candidate. This was not to say hire black coach just so you meet certain "quota". The result was more black coaches were hired. And guess what? The black coaches were just as competent as white coaches. In fact 3 out of the past 5 years have contained black super bowl coaches with them winning 2, which is remarkable given how few black coaches there in the league.

So is my point hire minorities just because they are a minority? NO! But whenever there is disconnect between the ratio of minorities in certain segments we should examine it and try to address it by removing the barrier that is preventing them from entering this field.

The example you give is not quite the same as in this country positive discrimination means exactly that - discrimination against one persron on the age of ethinicity or sex against another - have no issue with pushing employees to interview minority candidates but selecton of minority candidates over all others on any other basis than ability to do the job is one of the reasons why people vote right wing ie BNP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.