Come on City fans - sort the atmosphere out

I've been very critical of the South Stand over the last three years or so - and rightly so, they've been shit - but they've been a bit better this season. Still nowt special whatsoever but better.

Over the last four years the East corner have been the only decent part of the ground, and even then they've been nowt special. This season they've been substantially quieter than previous years.

I don't sit in either the South Stand nor East corner so it's not like I have any bias towards either. But for the "vocal" sections they're tiny little efforts and they never have and probably never will be anything special. They're just far too small to ever be anything but small little areas where some people stand and sing and some people stand and watch and have no real impact on the atmosphere in the stadium and are easily outsung by most sets of away fans.

It's only when the rest of the ground are up for it that there's any sort of decent atmosphere at the Etihad and that's very rare. It's just odd blokes dotted about here and there who try and join in with the murmurs we hear from the "vocal" sections and they almost never take off most of the time.

The stadium is too open, the tiers are too small, the away fans are in the wrong place, the vocal areas are far too tiny, cup games means the away fans take up one of our two vocal sections anyway...to ever have anything special at the Etihad. But we could all try a bit harder all around the ground to make it at least half decent.

Skashion said:
Don't know why everyone thinks it down to 111/110 to wipe your arses for you. Wipe them yourselves. The biggest problem in the stadium is that ONLY 110/111 sings at times. The only time the stadium really generates atmosphere is when everyone has a go. Depending on a tiny section to do it is why the atmosphere is shit.
It needs someone to start it. When one stand sings, others join in

Ideally every fan who went would sing, but it does take a bit of bottle to sing when all around you are silent and moaning at every stray pass.

The singing section was supposed to be there to give the vocal support, and this season they've just stood there.

When I'm back in my usual block I'll be supporting the team again, but every City fan has to take some responsibility for sorting this out.

I think it comes down to not having a popular end. But we don't have one, and we can't let the best team we have seen carry on being so poorly supported at home. The numbers are there. But the noise, support and appreciation isn't.

I don't really have any good ideas, other than the singing section which I have seen planned. But I don't get why that is not being based in 110/111.

There was a point during the really quiet spells that I wanted to stand on my seat and start singing loud as fuck

but I know for a fact that you'd be doing it alone and frowned on by the majority and maybe even taken off to a yellow van outside.

Skashion said:
Don't know why everyone thinks it down to 111/110 to wipe your arses for you. Wipe them yourselves. The biggest problem in the stadium is that ONLY 110/111 sings at times. The only time the stadium really generates atmosphere is when everyone has a go. Depending on a tiny section to do it is why the atmosphere is shit.

This ^^^ all day long

JoeMercer'sWay said:
Poznan in the first 5 minutes, get everyone up and going.

God maybe be really sad and designate certain minutes to start certain songs so everyone knows when to sing.

Thats a great idea.

There were lots of young kids around me this evening.

Great that they get taken to a game but not gonna generate much atmosphere.

Marvin said:

Ideally every fan who went would sing, but it does take a bit of bottle to sing when all around you are silent and moaning at every stray pass.

The singing section was supposed to be there to give the vocal support, and this season they've just stood there.

When I'm back in my usual block I'll be supporting the team again, but every City fan has to take some responsibility for sorting this out.

I think it comes down to not having a popular end. But we don't have one, and we can't let the best team we have seen carry on being so poorly supported at home. The numbers are there. But the noise, support and appreciation isn't.

I don't really have any good ideas, other than the singing section which I have seen planned. But I don't get why that is not being based in 110/111.
Nope. Not buying that. Tonight, yes, the singing section was very poor. I think it's because a lot of 110/111ers either don't come to cup games or go elsewhere. Certainly wasn't the usual crowd around us tonight. However, there are plenty of games when we're just fine and songs still don't spread. I'd say that best describes the majority of games.

The reality is that it's only the sense of occasion that makes people want to join in. The only games I'd say have been anywhere near being able to describe as a decent atmosphere are the matches against our top four rivals. That's not because 111/110 corner has only been decent in those matches, it's because those are the only matches the majority of the stadium has sufficient enthusiasm for. Away games it's a different story. Travelling to away games builds its own sense of occasion, but right now that's what is lacking. Everything is too run-of-the-mill at home.

-- Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:08 am --

JoeMercer'sWay said:
The Poznan was great for that. The Poznan Years were our two best for atmosphere since leaving Maine Road without a shadow of doubt.

Marvin said:
The singing section had no excuse. They've got complacent

South Stand split up never helps for Cup games, but we need to do something for the Watford Cup game. Great prices from the Ticket office by the way. That will be a sell out no problem, but once again the South Stand is going to be relocated en masse, so it's going to be down to the singing section in 110/111 to sing.

hardly any regulars in 111 tonight so thats a load of bollocks. if people don't chose to be in the cup scheme in 111 they lose their place and are replaced by people who want to be part of an atmosphere but not join in. happens at most cup games against lower teams.

how about you dont get moved to the north stand, and try singing yourself instead of moaning at other people?

Skashion said:
Marvin said:

Nope. Not buying that. Tonight, yes, the singing section was very poor. I think it's because a lot of 110/111ers either don't come to cup games or go elsewhere. Certainly wasn't the usual crowd around us tonight. However, there are plenty of games when we're just fine and songs still don't spread. I'd say that best describes the majority of games.

The reality is that it's only the sense of occasion that makes people want to join in. The only games I'd say have been anywhere near being able to describe as a decent atmosphere are the matches against our top four rivals. That's not because 111/110 corner has only been decent in those matches, it's because those are the only matches the majority of the stadium has sufficient enthusiasm for. Away games it's a different story. Travelling to away games builds its own sense of occasion, but right now that's what is lacking. Everything is too run-of-the-mill.

-- Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:08 am --

JoeMercer'sWay said:
The Poznan was great for that. The Poznan Years were our two best for atmosphere since leaving Maine Road without a shadow of doubt.

you need to force the rest of the ground to join in, and the only way to do that is to get them off their arses and into a Poznan, that's the sense of occasion. That or "if you love City stand up" and do it in the first 5 minutes to get everyone up and get a vibe going for the game, because if the team start slow the atmosphere just dies waiting for something to happen, we need to kick start it by getting everyone up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.