Complaint to BBC regarding Pete the Badge

1200+ posts re: adult football supporters offended by football banter !
I feel quite embarrassed by it all as a city fan if i'm honest
Bertie is hardly degrading and or offensive, what next are we going to call a truce and not use the term rags anymore in case it offends fellow football fans ?
Remember the "welcome to Manchester" banner that was clearly a dig at the rags, sorry, Manchester United we lapped that one up it's all in the name of the game.

Bertie is hardly degrading and or offensive, what next are we going to call a truce and not use the term rags anymore in case it offends fellow football fans ?
Remember the "welcome to Manchester" banner that was clearly a dig at the rags, sorry, Manchester United we lapped that one up it's all in the name of the game.
I wasn't aware that the rags were made to pay for the banner, or that the BBC called them rags, thanks for clearing that up.

Personally I'm not one to get too worked up about insults, real or perceived, from any quarters of the media. This is however a little different. Firstly it held an innocent football fan up to ridicule without either his permission, knowing his circumstances or whether it would cause him personal distress in the future, which is now entirely possible. Secondly, this isn't an article that appeared in a rival clubs fanzine or forum. If it had, they would have have got dogs abuse back in bucketfuls and rightly so, but no one would have seen it as anything other than banter, albeit still uncalled for and still inappropriate. It's an article that was generated and approved by our national broadcaster, the BBC, an impartial body whose remit is to report factually without bias and who, supposedly, set the standards that others in the media should try and aspire to. They have clearly failed on all counts and, to their further discredit, have sought to use generic, computer generated banal responses in an effort to avoid having to give a truthful response to people's complaints. I've nothing but admiration for those that have taken on the BBC on this issue and hope that all City fans keep an eye out for Pete, particularly at away games, because I'd hate to see him getting abused as a result of the BBC's 'harmless banter'.

You really need to.up you're game if you get embarrassed by a fee letters and complaints

Did you you used to hide behind the sofa when 'Points of View' was aired?
Do you flee past the newsagents in case the Times letter page should accidently open in front of you?
The only thing embarrassing is you continually popping in here to say its embarrassing, although I'm not embarrassed by your posts, just quizzical.

Totally missed the point and completely misunderstood the whole point of this thread!
Bertie isn't a term that offends me in the slightest, and United fans using it on forums or in conversation is fine by me, in the same way I will always call them Rags.
However this is not a fan forum - this is a publicly funded national organisation, that should be impartial... ask yourself - would it publish a similar photo of a United fan with the word "Rag" in the caption? Would they fuck... and to make it worse they outright lie about it afterwards!
So, yeah we did take the piss with the "Welcome to Manchester" banner... but that was us -NOT the BBC!
The fact you can't grasp that is embarrassing to be hones!

I
I am not arsed about the term Bertie it could be used all day on me and i wouldnt bat an eyelid.But the bbc clearly used it on one individual purely to take the piss.we should be expecting better standards from such an organastion.it was not banter or a bit of leg pulling it was made to embarass and take the piss out of an elderly City fan

I

I am not arsed about the term Bertie it could be used all day on me and i wouldnt bat an eyelid.But the bbc clearly used it on one individual purely to take the piss.we should be expecting better standards from such an organastion.it was not banter or a bit of leg pulling it was made to embarass and take the piss out of an elderly City fan
Spot-on, and what's worse is one who can't fight back or respond in kind, unfortunately for the rag Pete has friends who can and will and if that embarrasses bluebc then that's just unfortunate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.