confidence

gordondaviesmoustache said:
What currency does it hold?

It's not a panacea, but what is in this world?

It's an invaluable characteristic that helps us to win many 'everyday' battles IMO.

If it 'goes' the loss is so powerful it can lead to mental health issues.

However it can also backfire and make people think you're that self sufficient and self assured you don't 'need' any help.

Nice choice of topic GDM.

Another example of the English language tripping people up in terms of how they make sense of things. Confidence is a derivative of 'con' (with) and 'fide' (fidelity). So the literal translation is to 'act with fidelity' that is- do what matters in spite of how difficult. So you cannot BE confident, or HAVE confidence, only ACT WITH confidence. If you don't find a situation fear eliciting or challenging in some way, then you cannot ACT WITH confidence.

Axe with confidence.

axemurderer.jpg

Stoned Rose said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
What currency does it hold?

It's not a panacea, but what is in this world?

It's an invaluable characteristic that helps us to win many 'everyday' battles IMO.

If it 'goes' the loss is so powerful it can lead to mental health issues.

However it can also backfire and make people think you're that self sufficient and self assured you don't 'need' any help.

Nice choice of topic GDM.
Thanks. I started the thread last night when I was (unsuccessfully) chatting a girl up. Only just remembered starting the thread. Yesterday was a long day!

You make some good points there, SR, as did BBB when talking of it fluctuating.

Your comment about its loss being so powerful is particularly well observed and shows how much of life is won and lost in the mind. I've always been particularly fascinated by those golfers (not a sport I follow) who completely lose form in the blink of an eye. It must feed on itself in a very corrosive way.

And others are correct, self-confidence can descend quite easily into arrogance. It's certainly something I know I need to be conscious of from time to time.

I suppose I come across as quite confident (people who've met me feel free to comment on this) but I have to consciously make an effort when meeting new people. For instance I have to do quite a lot of corporate social stuff and beforehand I'm nervous to the point of feeling sick, sweaty palms the lot but once in there I just talk, ask questions of the people I'm with just get on with it. Other people just stay quiet or try to get out of this situation, is it just laziness and they say they are shy as an excuse?

You must've been in a situation where you are trying to make conversation and it's like pulling teeth? Is it shyness or just that they can't be bothered and were wishing they were elsewhere?

You can't argue with a confident man.

Or the variation on the theme (which seems to happen a lot on these pages...) :

Don't argue with an idiot, cos anybody watching can't tell the difference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.