Confused about 2 job offers, help

My son would love to live in San Diego, more than anywhere else in the States. But it's expensive and you'll be working shifts, so maybe the quality of life won't be as good. But you could try it for a while and, once you're out there, if you don't like the shifts, maybe there will be other opportunities.

Financially you'll probably be better off in Minneapolis therefore and it's days.

In terms of big company v small company, it depends what you want. I've been really happy in a smaller company, where I was a big cog in a small wheel and the company grew significantly, but the opportunities for development weren't really there.

Now I work for a very big organisation so I'm just a small cog but there are tremendous developmen opportunitie. 18 months in, I've had a big promotion into a high-profile role after going on a senior development programme, and am involved of loads of developmental activities such as mentoring, cross-departmental working groups.

But big companies could just as easily lay 10% of their staff off without batting an eyelid, in order to trim the bottom line a bit just to keep shareholders happy. Whereas a small company would probably look after their staff a bit better. The larger company might get even larger, or it could get taken over, either situation giving you great opportunities. But the latter scenario (of a takeover) could also be a threat as well. But, as someone said, the small company could get bigger and you'd be on the ground floor.

Ultimately, only you know what's most important to you and what road you want to take. One suggestion is to list all the relevant factors- opportunity, money, location, work pattern, company culture, etc., and score each one. Weight the categories according to what's most important to you and work out the total score. Or it might be that the single factor most important to you has a clear winner.

Good luck whatever you decide.

My son would love to live in San Diego, more than anywhere else in the States. But it's expensive and you'll be working shifts, so maybe the quality of life won't be as good. But you could try it for a while and, once you're out there, if you don't like the shifts, maybe there will be other opportunities.

Financially you'll probably be better off in Minneapolis therefore and it's days.

In terms of big company v small company, it depends what you want. I've been really happy in a smaller company, where I was a big cog in a small wheel and the company grew significantly, but the opportunities for development weren't really there.

Now I work for a very big organisation so I'm just a small cog but there are tremendous developmen opportunitie. 18 months in, I've had a big promotion into a high-profile role after going on a senior development programme, and am involved of loads of developmental activities such as mentoring, cross-departmental working groups.

But big companies could just as easily lay 10% of their staff off without batting an eyelid, in order to trim the bottom line a bit just to keep shareholders happy. Whereas a small company would probably look after their staff a bit better. The larger company might get even larger, or it could get taken over, either situation giving you great opportunities. But the latter scenario (of a takeover) could also be a threat as well. But, as someone said, the small company could get bigger and you'd be on the ground floor.

Ultimately, only you know what's most important to you and what road you want to take. One suggestion is to list all the relevant factors- opportunity, money, location, work pattern, company culture, etc., and score each one. Weight the categories according to what's most important to you and work out the total score. Or it might be that the single factor most important to you has a clear winner.

Good luck whatever you decide.
I'm a fucking "someone " now am I?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.