Conspiracy theory nuts

Had a “heated discussion” with my Brother in law few weeks back, he lives in Paris, but we met up on holiday, having a nice time with our kids, few local beers anyway I stupidly mentioned the Olympics opening ceremonies, trying to chat about the Metal band Gojira who appeared in it, but that was just the opportunity he needed, he went on a rant at me about the Olympics opening ceremony & transvestites & the last supper, washed down with another about wokism all the usual red flags that had been circulating, he’d already ranted at me a few days about covid vaccines & big pharma.
He’s always been a conspiracy nut, but it used to be JFK, ancient aliens etc, pretty harmless stuff, but when you start attacking minorities with obvious BS that can be cleared up with a bit of fact checking, I had to draw the line, I tried to point out that it wasn’t referencing the Last Supper, but Dionysus & Ancient Greece you know, the “Olympics” but he was having none of it, he carried on making a scene at the dinner table, his kid started crying, & I just shut up & drank my beer.
I feel sad for him, he’s ex wife is a woman, who keeps threatening to take away his visiting rights with his kid, he’s extremely intelligent, but his common sense seems to have gone down a conspiracy worm hole

Are you applying the label of conspiracy to all religion like Islam And buddhist etcetera.

I'm not religious but I don't think someone who believes in a God is a conspiracy theorist. As the original poster seemed to imply, live and let live is what I believe...
If someone wants to believe in a god , that is okay with me.
To be fair, I couldn't claim to be well versed across the entire religious landscape (in my minds eye whilst writing the above im generally picturing our westernised version of events).

That being said, I don't believe in a higher being or creator so I suppose by definition I sort of am yes............ :-)

Had a “heated discussion” with my Brother in law few weeks back, he lives in Paris, but we met up on holiday, having a nice time with our kids, few local beers anyway I stupidly mentioned the Olympics opening ceremonies, trying to chat about the Metal band Gojira who appeared in it, but that was just the opportunity he needed, he went on a rant at me about the Olympics opening ceremony & transvestites & the last supper, washed down with another about wokism all the usual red flags that had been circulating, he’d already ranted at me a few days about covid vaccines & big pharma.
He’s always been a conspiracy nut, but it used to be JFK, ancient aliens etc, pretty harmless stuff, but when you start attacking minorities with obvious BS that can be cleared up with a bit of fact checking, I had to draw the line, I tried to point out that it wasn’t referencing the Last Supper, but Dionysus & Ancient Greece you know, the “Olympics” but he was having none of it, he carried on making a scene at the dinner table, his kid started crying, & I just shut up & drank my beer.
I feel sad for him, he’s ex wife is a woman, who keeps threatening to take away his visiting rights with his kid, he’s extremely intelligent, but his common sense seems to have gone down a conspiracy worm hole
He sounds ace - how has he linked the Olympics to the Last Supper to transvestites?

He should write sci-fi (or should that be sci-conspiritorial-fact?)........

Depends how fanatical she is really.

I was brought up C of E. You know, cups of tea and biscuits, the odd raffle. All very Vicar of Dibley and harmless. I never really believed in it all but when push comes to shove I imagine most people in the C of E don’t either, they’re more like community centres and somewhere for old ladies to gossip.

There’s a world of difference between that and the kind of militant religious fundamentalism you see in parts of America or the Middle East.

Not all religious is evil and bad. Just when people take it a bit too far IMO.
I'm C of E and I'm a fully paid up member of the atheist club. Mind you my three lads all Catholic don't give a flying one about religion. My wife, when I first met her, was a Catholic who used to go twice a day to church every Sunday, now doesn't believe either. Nothing that I've said or done I have never ever discussed it with her. It's her own choice. It's dying in this country.

It's heartbreaking when you find someone close to you is like this, isn't it? Especially when it's someone you actually like.

I'm C of E and I'm a fully paid up member of the atheist club. Mind you my three lads all Catholic don't give a flying one about religion. My wife, when I first met her, was a Catholic who used to go twice a day to church every Sunday, now doesn't believe either. Nothing that I've said or done I have never ever discussed it with her. It's her own choice. It's dying in this country.

I'm not an atheist I just don't believe in a thing that not one person in history can prove to me exists, being given a label by believers doesn't work.

I'm not even a non believer, I am just not a member of a cult, religion isn't harmless imo.

I'm not an atheist I just don't believe in a thing that not one person in history can prove to me exists, being given a label by believers doesn't work.

I'm not even a non believer, I am just not a member of a cult, religion isn't harmless imo.
Control of the masses.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.