Cook - They Bottled It

Dyed Petya said:
All this, "They only wanted to talk money," stuff has a ring to me of PR spin for the benefit of City fans, designed to make us think that he's a mercenary and we're better off without him. I don't believe for a second that our delegation, who are all reasonably high-flying professional people, for one minute believe that Kaka will join us purely because of his interest in the so called "Project".

Oh FFS - we are the fucking richest sporting organization on the planet - we would pay whatever we wanted to pay - money is no object. He stated that it wasn't about the money & it WAS about the project FFS.

we will prob get them in uefa and kaka will get hat trick before half time. half time hughes rings the changes and throws on jo, benjani and vass we end up with a 4-3 victory just like against the spuds

Chippy_boy said:
Matty said:
Chippy_boy said:
How very very telling. Cook: "were we looking for the opportunity to joint venture in areas that would take this club on to a different platform"

As I thought. When it came to brass tacks, what we had in mind for our "offer" of £100m was in terms of some cash, some appearance fees, some marketing royalties etc etc. Not "here's £100m cheque".

So basically we bottled it, not Milan. (Rightly or wrongly, I don't want to get drawn into that.) But had we said "Here's a hundred million pound cheque", Kaka would now be ours. I was 100% certain of that prior to yesterday and I remain so now.
You can construe that statement to mean any one of a million different things and you've gone for the one that makes City look cheap and shite. Why exactly?

Why? Because I always doubted the sincerity of an offer of £108m. And why did I do that? Because it's WAY too much money for any one player. When the previous world record fee was less than £50m and the world is entering into (or is in) the biggest recession for 80 years. £50m or £60m would have been a STAGGERING offer. £108m was completely ridiculous.

I always said if the £108m was a no-strings attached offer, then Milan would have to accept it as it is just too good to refuse.

It seems patently obvious to me now that we had other things in mind than "here's the cheque fellas". I believe it was Milan that first started talking about £100m and we probably went along with it on the basis that we could see a way that they could achieve that amount of money from the sale based on various criteria, as I mention above. This is 100% normal in the commercial world Cook comes from. (And which I work in, for what it's worth.)

The fee has been media speculation possibly leaked by Milan officials to try and appease their fans, by saying how can we turn this down for one player. Cook has said today there was an agreement to keep the pursuit of Kaka secret. We stuck by this agreement Milan didn't.

There has been no acknowledgment by anybody connected to City about the size of the transfer fee. IMO it was much less than Milan was leaking and then tried to ask for a higher price when they realised how their fans had reacted to the possible sale, and that reaction would have been much greater had a lower fee been agreed. I believe this is why we pulled the plug when we saw that the negotiations where going nowhere.

In turn Berlusconi had his people put it on his website and Milan TV that the sale would go ahead for 130m euros with the salary at 20m euros. Then he tells Kaka he wants to keep him and gives an interview on TV saying that Kaka rejected City.

The fact is Berlusconi is a liar and crook.

Very much agree with 'foreverblue'. We have gained pride from not being bullied from a so called super power!

Lets build step by step!

Don't get me wrong it would have been very nice - but the kaka way is not the way to avoid the laughing stock we want.

Very much agree with 'foreverblue'. We have gained pride from not being bullied from a so called super power!

Lets build step by step!

Don't get me wrong it would have been very nice - but the kaka way is not the way to avoid the laughing stock we want.

Lets build step by step!

Lets build step by step!

I remember when Kenyon was the Chief Executive at the Rags and kept talking about them as a "brand".

My how I took the piss out of Rags with that term for them!

So how fucking disappointing is it that City are now known as "The Project"

How i hate that term.

We are City (Super City).. not a fucking project!!!

This is my take on the whole Kaka saga.
1) If he had really wanted to come he would have signed days ago, or at least said he was. But all we got was "I dont want to go" so it was no surprise that he didnt come.

2) Berscoloni (or whatever his name is) definetly wanted to sell but hadnt bargained for the hostile reaction of the fans so he thought "Oh dear, I have dropped a bollock here, how do I get out of it? Lets make up some story showing City in a poor light then we dont come out of it looking too bad".

3) And this is the bit that shows Kaka^s true colours. He claimed that he wasnt motivated by money, so why did he (or his dad) issue an ultimatum to what his personal terms would be? If he really wasnt bothered about money, then why the rush to talk cash?

BTW, I am not bothered about him not coming, I have always had the view that I would rather get the backbone of a team for the amount of money allegedly being spent on the Kaka deal. Just a thought, how many Tim Cahills could you buy for one Kaka? If he had come, who would be getting better VFM, Everton or City?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.