cooks job on the line

Just for a while, I'd like us to start making headlines on the pitch.

I'm growing tired of reading rubbish about stuff behind the scenes at the club, Garry Cook, Robinho, Coin/Bottle Throwing and Managers coming and going.

Just do your job City, play football and win. Do whatever needs to be done to keep the Red Top's quiet until we win something.

If sacking Garry Cook means less headlines, fine. But I don't think it does. Sacking him means a further 4 months at least of him, what he did, why he left, the real reason why he left, the actual read worldwide exclusive reason why he left etc etc.
Keeping him on and telling him to keep his Gob shut until we win something/buy someone might mean people start focussing on us on the pitch.

Whatever, CBA, just win something City or get in the top 4, and dear God please stuff the scum at home.

What a joke, he can't be defended. He's not the face we want for City. Braging before we've won anything, total to**er. You would not brag when we win, let the trophy's do the talkin.
He's doing a good job, my arse. It's gone to his head. Get rid asap for the good of the club.

right... here's the coverage i've found:
Garry Cook's Manchester City future in doubt after failed boast

• Chief executive guaranteed Carling Cup victory over United
• Abu Dhabi owners growing concerned about club's reputation

* Daniel Taylor
* guardian.co.uk, Friday 29 January 2010 00.10 GMT

Garry Cook has twice had to apologise for remarks he has made as Manchester City chief executive.

Manchester City's owners in Abu Dhabi are starting to give serious consideration to the position of the chief executive, Garry Cook, at the end of the season after becoming increasingly perturbed about his leadership style and the frequency with which he has attracted bad publicity.

Cook has developed a reputation as one of the game's more derided figures after a series of personal embarrassments in which his fondness for speaking his mind has come back to haunt him. The latest came in the build-up to the second leg of the Carling Cup semi-final against Manchester United when he was filmed telling supporters in New York's Mad Hatter Saloon that City would get to Wembley "not if, but when, we beat United again".

Cook also proclaimed that City were on course to supersede United, Real Madrid and Barcelona as the "biggest and best club in the world". He later claimed that he thought it was a closed event, despite the presence of television cameras as he took the microphone. Sir Alex Ferguson is understood to have cited Cook's remarks to his players ahead of Wednesday's 3-1 win which took United into the final with a 4-3 aggregate victory.

The sense at Old Trafford is that Cook committed one of the oldest mistakes in the book and, after the match, the midfielder Darren Fletcher pointedly referred to United "doing their talking on the pitch". However, the concerns about Cook go back much further and are more elaborate than just his habit of talking himself into trouble. City have had a mixed record in the transfer market, overpaying for several players and missing out on several key targets, most notably the attempt to smash the world transfer record by persuading Kaká to sign for the club from Milan for £91m in January 2009. In one of Cook's more infamous outbursts, the former Nike marketing executive accused Milan of "bottling it".

More recently, Cook came under scrutiny when City sacked their manager, Mark Hughes, and it subsequently emerged that his successor, Roberto Mancini, had been approached three weeks earlier. Cook tried to pass off meeting the former Internazionale coach as "general football talks" but the episode reflected badly on the club when the Abu Dhabi United Group has been trying to project an image of being different and more noble than other football club owners. Cook later revealed that he had actually started to identify possible replacements for Hughes as long ago as last summer, despite having repeatedly insisted that the club would be patient with their manager.

The sacking demonstrated the ruthlessness of the club's owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, and the chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, during a period of significant change at every level of the club. Cook was paid £1.5m last year and has admitted being brought to tears during parts of a 20-month tenure in which, in effect, he ousted Alistair Mackintosh from the job.

Cook was appointed by the previous owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, the deposed prime minister of Thailand who had been charged with corruption offences in his home country. In Cook's first major interview, he defended Thaksin's reputation, saying: "Is he a nice guy? Yes. Is he a great guy to play golf with? Yes. Has he got the finances to run a club? Yes. Whether he's guilty of something over there, I can't worry too much about. Morally, I feel ­comfortable in this environment."

He subsequently admitted after Thaksin's conviction that he felt "dreadful" about making those comments. "I have made some mistakes in my life," Cook said, "but I deeply regretted my failure to do proper research on Thaksin."

That particular episode was not under ADUG's watch, but Cook's propensity for saying the wrong thing has started to jar with his employers and also affect the way the supporters consider him. His public gaffes include welcoming former striker Uwe Rösler to the "Manchester United Hall of Fame" at a supporters' event, a mistake that led to him being booed. Cook later wrote an apology for the mistake.

Cook also vehemently denied reports that Robinho would leave the club in January but was proved wrong yesterday.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jan/29/manchester-city-garry-cook-sheikh-mansour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... kh-mansour</a>

interesting, apart from the opening line, the rest is well known history.

but the times is much kinder, this is a quote from a larger piece 'Champions League a must for Manchester City'

So where do City go from here? The easy answer is a Barclays Premier League game at home to Portsmouth on Sunday, the perfect opportunity to reiterate their ambitions to qualify for next season’s Champions League. That, rather than winning the Carling Cup, has become the overriding priority in City’s bid to persuade a sceptical world to take them seriously, but Wednesday was a setback. If stage one in the City project, as laid out by Garry Cook, the chief executive, was to “own Manchester”, it is clear that United, despite problems of their own, will not make life easy for them.

For as long as City are kept at arm’s length by United and the rest of the establishment, Cook’s soundbites are going to be thrown back at him. Last week, addressing City supporters in a New York bar, it was “not if but when we are at Wembley, having beaten Man United yet again” and “this football club is, without doubt, going to be the biggest and best football club in the world”. As a chief executive, Cook has far more to offer than boasts and big talk, but by all accounts his words last week infuriated Sir Alex Ferguson, the United manager, who was already determined to deny City their first significant final since 1981

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/manchester_city/article7007159.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 007159.ece</a>

and your piece goes much further in suggesting ADUG are actively supporting him.

so. who knows what? seems like all three papers have taken a different spin on the same bit of news. my guess is khaldoun or someone let it be known that they understood that the 'when no if we beat them' might have backfired. I wouldn't be surprised if ADUG were letting him know he had to cool it a bit. but even the guardian says this is the first time they have considered his position (contradicting your story), so I think any thought that they'd had enough of him, or had a replacement lined up is very premature indeed.

Considering we've been failures for 30years he comes our with the satement of "we will become the biggest football club in the world" right in the midst of us actually playing the current biggest football club in the world! could he have given Fergie any bigger motivation to beat us!? Fergie probably showed that clip to his squad at half time on Weds - when he said it I had Del Boy in my head saying "YOU PLONKER!"

I was disgusted with his little girly tantrum in the press conference of the Mancini unveiling! I looked at that and saw some bloke who'd worked in a very high powered marketing job for a sport company (Nike Air Jordan) who actually didn't know anything about sport itself! I realised then he was out if his depth!

He called us Manchester United at the Uwe Rosler dinner!

Can we afford to have this chump as a figure head for this club!? he may well do many other aspects of his job very well, but why not just keeping away from cameras and have him do his job without us seeing him make a fool of us every few months!?

COOKE KEEP YOUR GOB SHUT YOU BRUMMY BASTARD!!

The trouble with crashing or playing yer way into the big league is that the dailies, red tops, gutter press, and even some of the smarmy so-called quality reads are Rag infested and wish to impose their own agenda. We were an easy target and events like the Kaka deal, the Robinho transfer (What Robinho to Man City! You joke!) and now the Robinho loan deal makes for stories which lazy journos can turn into a pantomime.

Since the money and Cook arrived this club has been transformed from the hand-to-mouth existence of previous seasons. The one thing that Cook must have at the forefront of his mind is that he is not the Sheikh's man - he's a legacy of Frank.

But had we had Mother Theresa as CEO, and she had performed the CEO functions with saintly humility, that very thing would have provided the laugh-a-minute for the vipers and skunks of the daily press.

Cooke is bad for the club, simple as that. He cant keep his mouth shut when he's got a camera in his face, always making terrible comments without thinking first. We all know about the kaka saga, and the breakdown in talks because of him and his attitude, and that will harm us in the long term if he continues.

I think Cook is doing what he was brought in to do, use his contcts to raise the clubs profile and attract investment.
When it comes to the football side of things i.e press conf. for any signings then i think Mancini and Marwood should handle them.
Maybe he said it because he sees things we dont and truly believes we will be, although he should be a bit more discrete about when and where he sings from the roof tops about it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.