coronation street tonight

mcfc1894

what's your views on their story line tonight, is play the white man a racist term or not?

Jack74 said:
mcfc1894 said:
what's your views on their story line tonight, is play the white man a racist term or not?

Go on bud explain ?

paul and steve were playing darts and paul needed double tops to win. he hit it and after about 3 seconds it fell out. in a proper game its no score but as mates he said come on steve play the white man. lloyd walked in with his daughter as he said this and kicked off. called Paul a racist which paul then went mad saying he isn't and its only a saying. play the white man apparently means for someone to be decent and trustworthy.

Haven't actually heard anyone say it since the 80s. No surprise that Corrie is way behind the times.

stony said:
Haven't actually heard anyone say it since the 80s. No surprise that Corrie is way behind the times.

paul did say he got it from his dad who used to say it. but he took proper offence to lloyd calling him racist. is he or isn't he? I've never heard the saying before, I had to google it

mcfc1894 said:
stony said:

paul did say he got it from his dad who used to say it. but he took proper offence to lloyd calling him racist. is he or isn't he? I've never heard the saying before, I had to google it

Surely you don't need to ask if it's offensive or not. I've only ever heard it a few times, and that was in the early 80s. There's a reason it's not a common phrase any more and yes it is racist, although wiki says it isn't. I wouldn't dream of using it.

Paul would have apologised but he saw Lloyds stupid hair and could not bring himself to say sorry to someone with such an haircut and also a crack addict taxi driver with a fat bird to boot.

I watched the episode and thought it was a load of fuss over nothing, however giving it further thought I can see it probably was.....

Reason? If playing a white man was being reasonable and honest it implies black people aren't I suppose, which is obviously nonsense.

In the 1980's one of the most popular TV shows on prime television was "Love thy neighbour" where Jack Smethurst used to refer to the guy next door as "That black nig nog" and it was considered funny...He in turn used to say "That white honkey"......There were very few complaints...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gN7zlpnz8[/youtube]

Different times......

curry and chips spike milligan (paki paddy)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrFzWJX3hro[/youtube]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.