coronation street tonight

I watched it last night and it pissed me off. Had never heard the phrase before but it's hardly offensive. You hear a lot worse put it that way.

Those saying it isn't offensive, would you be happy to say it to a black man ?

davymcfc said:
I watched it last night and it pissed me off. Had never heard the phrase before but it's hardly offensive. You hear a lot worse put it that way.
Insinuating black people aren't honest will clearly be offensive to a lot of people.

bluestevei said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
I watched the episode and thought it was a load of fuss over nothing, however giving it further thought I can see it probably was.....

Reason? If playing a white man was being reasonable and honest it implies black people aren't I suppose, which is obviously nonsense.

In the 1980's one of the most popular TV shows on prime television was "Love thy neighbour" where Jack Smethurst used to refer to the guy next door as "That black nig nog" and it was considered funny...He in turn used to say "That white honkey"......There were very few complaints...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gN7zlpnz8[/youtube]

Different times......

I used to love that show, but it will never be on now

That show was developed to help the integration of Black people into this country, Jack the main racist character was always on the losing side every episode with his usually his neighbours and his Wife laughing at him and his stupidity, think about it !

stony said:
Those saying it isn't offensive, would you be happy to say it to a black man ?

I think it depends on the individual ....

there would probably be thousands of white guys , myself included , who would walk the street of Moss Side , get called a 'honky' ... and think absolutely nothing of it.

(in fact i have been (probably in jest) on occasion when i've gone down to pick my daughter up from one of her regular late night parties !)

Of course it's racist.

Whether the man in the tele program you people watch was racist, I don't know and don't care.

But in the real world, I'd feel a little uneasy equating whiteness to honesty and playing fair as it suggests blacks are less than fair, low down, dirty, one might even say 'savage'.

It's a racist statement.

If there's a tell tale where you work and you say to him, "you better make sure you're whiter than white because people might grass on you now if they get the chance", is that racist terminology?

Bluebee2 said:
bluestevei said:
ColinBellsjockstrap said:
I watched the episode and thought it was a load of fuss over nothing, however giving it further thought I can see it probably was.....

Reason? If playing a white man was being reasonable and honest it implies black people aren't I suppose, which is obviously nonsense.

In the 1980's one of the most popular TV shows on prime television was "Love thy neighbour" where Jack Smethurst used to refer to the guy next door as "That black nig nog" and it was considered funny...He in turn used to say "That white honkey"......There were very few complaints...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_gN7zlpnz8[/youtube]

Different times......

I used to love that show, but it will never be on now

That show was developed to help the integration of Black people into this country, Jack the main racist character was always on the losing side every episode with his usually his neighbours and his Wife laughing at him and his stupidity, think about it !
There we have it good shout.

2sheikhs said:
If there's a tell tale where you work and you say to him, "you better make sure you're whiter than white because people might grass on you now if they get the chance", is that racist terminology?

I don't believe so. To be whiter than white suggests a clear charge sheet, an unblemished record. Kind of like the idea of a bride in a white dress on her wedding day. It's like purity. It's nothing to do with skin colour.

"Play the white man" suggests that a white man would play fair, hence insinuating that a black man wouldn't.

To those saying it's not that bad and is quite tame, what exactly should the Coro script writers have had a likeable character say, keeping in mind it's a pre-watershed, family friendly show?

2sheikhs said:

Wouldn't know. If some little mithering twat runs to a boss I wouldn't speak to the fucker again, nevermind warning him.

Whilst on the subject are albinos considered trustworthy?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.