Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fucking media piss me right off.

The headline about the AZ vaccine should be...

"Astra Zeneca vaccine looks to be effective in providing protection against serious illness in the SA variant."

Not...

"Astra Zeneca vaccine not as effective against mild illness in the SA variant."

The body may well make high volumes of antibody titres but maybe not across the entire pre-existing spectrum. That is what their paper says. ANd that probably explains the decline in vaccine effectiveness.

Collectively, our results suggest that the observed increase in neutralizing antibody responses post-vaccination is primarily due to an increase in anti-RBD antibodies. The inability of an NTD-directed mAb to neutralize B.1.351 however, suggests anti-NTD neutralizing antibodies generated in response to infection with variants from early in the pandemic, may not be effective against emerging mutant variants.

Yeah, apologies as I had initially misread the post and got ahead of myself. Eyes saw the word immunised in Crotty's tweet, brain read the word infected...hence the quick deletion of my post. Would never attempt to mislead. Apologies again.

Fucking media piss me right off.

The headline about the AZ vaccine should be...

"Astra Zeneca vaccine looks to be effective in providing protection against serious illness in the SA variant."

Not...

"Astra Zeneca vaccine not as effective against mild illness in the SA variant."
As long as the full message is relayed, which it was, I think they are right in emphasising the potential issue with the AZ vaccine. People need to be fully aware of what the limitations are.

As long as the full message is relayed, which it was, I think they are right in emphasising the potential issue with the AZ vaccine. People need to be fully aware of what the limitations are.
So you think it is right that the media should stress and highlight the negative rather than the positive in this story?

I can see dissadvantages to the way this is deliberately presented by the media as this will scare people from having the vaccine and only make some people feel lower than they already are. Infact I can see no positives to putting a negative spin on this news. Please can you let me know what they are?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.