Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy? His attitude was that we should be 'concerned'. We've gone from aimimg for herd immunity to medicine. That's not good.
A preventative medicine that allows a return to a more normal life during this year, reducing severe disease and buying time for better treatments for those hospitalised might not have been the target, although it would still be a very good outcome.

32 mins in.
The Andrew Marr Show, 07/02/2021: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000s5lx via @bbciplayer
Total vaccine evasion? How does that happen? Wouldn't it have to completely bypass the spike protein? Thus rendering it a completely different virus?
Yep, it would have to change into a completely new virus which would be unprecedented.

Worst case effectiveness being low, which means it’ll still stop the vast majority of deaths that would ordinarily happen, from doing so.

These vaccines have totally changed the landscape of how this virus will affect people going forward.

I dunno, maybe stopping people from dying and getting our lives back to normal is simply more important to some people than trying to spite people who live in another country.
Not having help from China isn’t trying to spite the Chinese people.

Their government are the guilty party in all of this and shouldn’t be trusted.

Government getting a clubbing on Good Morning via Piers and Susannah.

Pretty shocking really how bad we’ve been at getting the quarantine and borders situation sorted.

Woman just been on who flew into England last night from SA via Doha and didn’t get her test document checked and was just ushered straight through. Bizarre.

So you think it is right that the media should stress and highlight the negative rather than the positive in this story?

I can see dissadvantages to the way this is deliberately presented by the media as this will scare people from having the vaccine and only make some people feel lower than they already are. Infact I can see no positives to putting a negative spin on this news. Please can you let me know what they are?
As long as we are told the complete story, I see no issue, you clearly do which is your prerogative.

SAGE or Public Health England should take all the approved vaccines and test them against the SA like variants. We have assumed that we have to keep the variant in check through lockdown / quarantine / testing etc until a new vaccine is developed by Oxford / Pfizer etc but what if there is another approved vaccine that functions quite well against it? I would look at the Chinese vaccines because at least one of them is a whole virus vaccine and theoretically, it should be less affected by mutations to the spike protein. There's also Novovax, to which the UK has an order, but has yet to be approved by the MHRA, which claims 60% effectiveness against the SA variant.

Why is everyone assuming we are completely reliant on one vaccine or vaccine type when there are alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.