Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing good mate. Smell has returned this week, so that was around 4 weeks without that sense. Been working and getting out and about and feel good. Perhaps some anxiety, I've no idea if that's a direct cause from the virus or an indirect impact on my state of mind tbh. Hard to explain, heart feels like it's racing sometimes. Still to try a run myself but I'm putting that down to sheer lazyness now, I'm out of the habit and finding it difficult to try and start getting back into...i will eventually ha!

Glad you're on the mend mate, all be it the lingering cough etc must be frustrating. Hopefully it eases up, in sure it will in time. The current cold snap won't be helping either I'd think!
Again remarkably similar symptoms as myself. Walking up the stairs sends my heart racing so clearly running is a no no.
That can wait.
Tired too but new job and you forget how your brain eats energy in learning situations. Glad I’m not working on something like an oil rig though...absolutely no chance.

Few stories of it sitting in your head way after the physical anguish subsides.
Anxiety or something else I don’t know.

This isn’t normal for humans after all so not surprised most of us are losing our heads a bit (or a lot).
Carry on mending mate.

N501Y and E484k are the two main variants, SAF and Britain.

The likelihood is that with the majority of the population vaccinated by the summer, and the top ups coming too, hospitalisations and deaths will be very low.

The economy will surely be opened up with social distancing in this case.

The worst case scenario here with mutations is it still spreads but will be similar to a cold to nearly everyone, based on what I’ve read.

The future is still bright and by autumn there will be amended vaccines to stop these mutations.
The worst-case scenario is total vaccine evasion. Unlikely. It's a grey area. It's not clear at all just how effective our vaccine arsenal is. Different studies and trials make different claims.

Today's briefing objective was just to assert that you should keep taking the vaccine. And we should. Unfortunately what looked like crystal clear water has now been muddied. Some people blame bad news on the media and misinformation but the South African state has a vested interest in discerning fact from fiction so I'd watch what they do.

The worst-case scenario is total vaccine evasion. Unlikely. It's a grey area. It's not clear at all just how effective our vaccine arsenal is. Different studies and trials make different claims.
32 mins in.
The Andrew Marr Show, 07/02/2021: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000s5lx via @bbciplayer
Total vaccine evasion? How does that happen? Wouldn't it have to completely bypass the spike protein? Thus rendering it a completely different virus?

Last edited:
Have to say very disappointed in today's press briefing. Van Tam painting a depressing picture.
What was depressing about it, the man is a realist, and he was saying the media were going ott with scare stories, and he was happy with the current situation regarding variants, so just get it done.

No idea how you could think he was negative ?

32 mins in.
The Andrew Marr Show, 07/02/2021: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000s5lx via @bbciplayer
Total vaccine evasion? How does that happen? Wouldn't it have to completely bypass the spike protein? Thus rendering it a completely different virus?
It can still change structurally so that some antibodies can no longer bind to it and this has already happened.

There are two aspects to immunity: antibodies and T cells which destroy infected cells. I think Sarah Gilbert must have been referring to the T cell response.

We might be able to get round this problem if we use one of China's inactivated virus-based vaccines. I am sure they have been approved now and in theory they should not be so seriously affected by changes to the spike protein.

Someone should ask Hancock or Johnson about this. We also have an odd situation where similar vaccines that all target the same spike protein claim different levels of effectiveness. I can't see why that would happen but seemingly it is the case.

What was depressing about it, the man is a realist, and he was saying the media were going ott with scare stories, and he was happy with the current situation regarding variants, so just get it done.

No idea how you could think he was negative ?
Happy? His attitude was that we should be 'concerned'. We've gone from aimimg for herd immunity to medicine. That's not good.

It can still change structurally so that some antibodies can no longer bind to it and this has already happened.

There are two aspects to immunity: antibodies and T cells which destroy infected cells. I think Sarah Gilbert must have been referring to the T cell response.

We might be able to get round this problem if we use one of China's inactivated virus-based vaccines. I am sure they have been approved now and in theory they should not be so seriously affected by changes to the spike protein.

Someone should ask Hancock or Johnson about this. We also have an odd situation where similar vaccines that all target the same spike protein claim different levels of effectiveness. I can't see why that would happen but seemingly it is the case.
why the fuck anyone would accept China's help with this is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.