Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting chat in here on the subject of potentially letting the oldies travel first.

Can certainly see both sides of the argument, and in particular there is a possible grey area surrounding family travel this summer, but the industry is on it's fucking knees and anything that might help stimulate things is a good thing in my eyes. We, as an industry, are absolutely desperate.

We're not talking about millions of pensioners suddenly going wild in Europe and rubbing all our faces in it. The noises from Greece, and they are only noises, is that they may permit double vaccinated people from the UK in May (would have to be 17th onwards due to restrictions this end)

If Doris and Bill have had all their required jabs and there is agreement in place between both countries that they can travel and return without issue, then let them have their week in Corfu or whatever it might be.

Yes, in an ideal world everyone would be ''released'' at the same time, but COVID life isn't an ideal world and we should welcome any returning steps towards normality, even if not everyone can benefit from them immediately.

And I'm speaking as a relatively young 33 year old, who likely won't be jabbed until the summer at the earliest.

But don't tell Doris and Bill that I went abroad 7 times last year ;)
Thing that I don’t get is I thought these vaccines did not prevent you from carrying the virus, if this is the case I really cannot see many countries allowing us to head over and spread the virus more than it already is.

So is yours.
I didnt make a suggestion, merely questioned the basis of a posters idea. Personally, I would prefer no foreign travel at all until all restrictions are lifted, but accept that is probably not attainable.

Thing that I don’t get is I thought these vaccines did not prevent you from carrying the virus, if this is the case I really cannot see many countries allowing us to head over and spread the virus more than it already is.

Yes but we're never going to eliminate Covid now. It's here to stay, and like everything in life an element of risk is par for the course.

People far more qualified than me can answer better but as I understand it the vaccines massively reduces the risk of you catching or carrying it.

If you do happen to catch it, then it massively reduces the chances of said person falling ill.

If you do happen to catch it and fall ill, it massively reduces the chances of said person getting very sick and needing to go to hospital.

If you do happen to catch it, fall ill and need hospital care, then it massively reduces the chances of dying from it.

The vaccines aren't magic bullets that will forever eliminate Covid, but they should allow us to live alongside it and not face another period like the previous 12 months.

With all that in mind, why on earth wouldn't countries open up to vaccinated people? They can't stay shut forever and letting in a plane load of 80 year olds who have all been double jabbed isn't suddenly putting their own population at risk.

European Countries particularly reliant on tourism will be chomping at the bit to open up this summer, after the washout that was 2020.

Vaccine passports or any other such system would be a substantial act of discrimination against a population based on an unavoidable characteristic.
Which isn’t the point. Just as you need paperwork to do some things or visit some countries now and always have. Some things, some countries will require this piece of paperwork in the future, maybe for a limited time maybe not.
So the question is what paperwork / certificate/ passport/app will it be and who will or should issue it. I think just saying there shouldn’t be one at all is ignoring the facts of what will be required if not by our government then by some.

Yes but we're never going to eliminate Covid now. It's here to stay, and like everything in life an element of risk is par for the course.

People far more qualified than me can answer better but as I understand it the vaccines massively reduces the risk of you catching or carrying it.

If you do happen to catch it, then it massively reduces the chances of said person falling ill.

If you do happen to catch it and fall ill, it massively reduces the chances of said person getting very sick and needing to go to hospital.

If you do happen to catch it, fall ill and need hospital care, then it massively reduces the chances of dying from it.

The vaccines aren't magic bullets that will forever eliminate Covid, but they should allow us to live alongside it and not face another period like the previous 12 months.

With all that in mind, why on earth wouldn't countries open up to vaccinated people? They can't stay shut forever and letting in a plane load of 80 year olds who have all been double jabbed isn't suddenly putting their own population at risk.

European Countries particularly reliant on tourism will be chomping at the bit to open up this summer, after the washout that was 2020.
I understand the effect it’s having tourism my wife works for hays travel, we lost thousands in bonuses last year as she was the highest seller in the company and her job is on the line every week that this goes on with thousand of others. If that’s the case that the vaccines ruduces chances of carrying the virus I don’t think countries will mind opening up to us but if not, said country will more than likely not be in the position ours is as they are not vaccinating as quickly as we are. There priority will be there citizens not ours I would have thought.

I honestly can't see foreign travel being significantly curtailed anyway. I think the usual holiday hotspots are going to be gagging to have anyone there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.