Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bet all those people who are having to stay 10 days in a hotel at a cost of nearly £2k will be delighted to hear that some people have waltzed through and are now spreading variants.

My own view is that quarantine is a waste of time and money: you will not stop the variants getting in they will get in anyway via transport/key delivery links.
Been listening to farage?

Bet all those people who are having to stay 10 days in a hotel at a cost of nearly £2k will be delighted to hear that some people have waltzed through and are now spreading variants.

My own view is that quarantine is a waste of time and money: you will not stop the variants getting in they will get in anyway via transport/key delivery links.
They arrived before the hotel quarantine was in place

Been listening to farage?
No. Why, has he said something similar?

I believe in thinking issues through rather than following the herd mentality. If there was a foolproof way of preventing strains getting in, fair enough. But there isn’t and probably never will be. The WHO said at the start of all this that closing borders is not the answer and I agree with them.

GM scoreboard:

374 - down from 516 - 42.5 % of the NW total of 880 - down 275 . Falls from 44.7% yesterday.

Wk to wk: 1076 v 1212 v 1050 v 804 v 631 v 374 today

Manchester 99 - up from 77. Pop score up 18 to 9025. Weekly cases 783. Weekly Pop down 2 to 141.

Stockport 41 - down from 48. Pop score up 14 to 6670. Weekly cases 468. Weekly Pop down 18 to 160. Big week to week cases fall just when Stockport needed it.

Oldham 35 - up from 30. Pop score up 15 to 9119. Weekly cases 331. Weekly Pop down 1to 140.

Bolton 34 - down from 60. Pop score up 12 to 8440. Weekly cases 528. Weekly Pop down 14 to 183.

Salford 33 - down from 40. Pop score up 12 to 8405. Weekly cases 365. Weekly Pop down 12 to 141.

Tameside 31 - down from 45. Pop score up 13 to 7494. Weekly cases 376. Weekly Pop down 6 to 166.

Wigan 30 - down from 73. Pop score up 9 to 8300. Lowest Pop score rise in ages here. And first single figure drop in GM other than Trafford in a while. Best of the day. Weekly cases 474. Weekly Pop down 12 to 144

Rochdale 28 - down from 63. Pop score up 12 to 8922. Weekly cases 382. Weekly Pop down 4 to 172.

Trafford 25 - down from 31. Pop score up 10 to 6591 - lead up to 79 on Stockport for best Pop across the pandemic. Weekly cases 255 - lowest in GM here too easily. Weekly Pop down 6 to 107. All the GM records held here and looks like sub 100 weekly pop looms. But not the lowest cases in GM today because.......

Bury 18- down from 49. Pop score up 10 to 8562. Weekly cases 340. Weekly Pop down 20 to 178. Biggest Pop fall in a while anywhere in GM. Even beats Stockport's big fall today.

Weekly Pop - Borough / Today / Last Saturday / Up/down by Lowest score is best - going down good/up bad

I add the Pop score across the entire pandemic too at the end per 100. This is essentially the percentage of the population in the borough who have tested positive and been recorded. So the minimum immunity acquired that way - if indeed any lasts up to a year by that route. Unrecorded cases, asymptomatic and, of course, vaccinated immunity are all on top of this base number locally.

Bolton 183 / 210 / down 27 Testing positive 8.4%

Bury 178/ 221 / down 43 Testing positive 8.6%

Rochdale 172 / 162 / UP 10 Testing positive 8.9%

Tameside 166 / 181 / down 15 Testing positive 7.5%

Stockport 160 / 166 / down 6 Testing positive 6.7%

Wigan 144 / 168 / down 24 Testing positive 8.3%

Salford 141 / 174 / down 33 Testing positive 8.4%

Manchester 141 / 165 / down 24 Testing positive 9.0%

Oldham 140 / 145 / down 5 Testing positive 9.1%

Trafford 107 / 120 / down 13 Testing positive 6.6%

Not quite the right thread but anyway, got covid in November and struggled ever since with chest, headaches, taste and smell fatigue and aching bones, had the az vaccine at 10.00 am today and been waiting for side effects but omg I feel brand new, tasting my wine was like the first time, chest is clear as a bell headache gone, legs feel like I could go for a run, it’s utterly bizarre, feel like this should be shared with the medical professionals, it’s like I’ve had a miracle drug, how can this be
Posted in here a couple of days ago about reports that doctors were getting many calls that Long Covid symptoms were disappearing after the vaccine. You are not alone it seems.

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/vaccine-may-ease-long-covid-suffering-th8dvrqht

he stated it’s his own view and it’s not a controversial one either, new variants seem impossible to prevent.
Indeed. I’m no virus expert, but when you think about it, new variants are going to pop up left, right and centre. Do people really think that a variant that pops up in South Africa, or Brazil or anywhere else can’t spring up in Slough, Basingstoke or Scunthorpe? This virus will mutate when it meets resistance of any kind and there is every chance it will mutate in the same way here as it has elsewhere.

Indeed. I’m no virus expert, but when you think about it, new variants are going to pop up left, right and centre. Do people really think that a variant that pops up in South Africa, or Brazil or anywhere else can’t spring up in Slough, Basingstoke or Scunthorpe? This virus will mutate when it meets resistance of any kind and there is every chance it will mutate in the same way here as it has elsewhere.
While I agree that there seems to be a natural selection path going on with this virus ( similar / same mutations in unlinked locations ) one thing we can do is reduce transmission. Less transmission = less capacity to mutate. But then reducing transmission also drives mutation as the mutant strains with the changes that get around the blocks are the ones that will succeed.

I d personally expect this will skip immunity and we’ll need a yearly booster jab.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.