Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My lad is in Czech Republic and they are struggling now :-(
I hope he can get a vaccine soon but I doubt it.
I haven't seen him since February 2019 as last year's trip was cancelled and now it looks like this year's could be too.
I'm just hoping he can come to us instead, perhaps later in the year, but I am worried about the whole thing over there now. Czech did really well at the beginning, but it's not good there now :-(
Sometimes I wish he had never gone.

This modelling paper (11th Feb) suggest the real effects of vaccination to be seen towards the end of march or so

I must admit I'm still finding the hospitalisation rate and deaths of over 80s a little confusing, ie a bit high, but then perhaps we haven't quite waited long enough

Edit; god knows why the link is going on about cookies, but it works

I think the main point that comes out is that ICU impact is much later than deaths, because ICU median age is ~60, whereas deaths median age is ~80. So the earlier vaccinating of 80+ means deaths fall earlier than ICU.

Just from a quick skim, might well have misconstrued something.

My lad is in Czech Republic and they are struggling now :-(
I hope he can get a vaccine soon but I doubt it.
I haven't seen him since February 2019 as last year's trip was cancelled and now it looks like this year's could be too.
I'm just hoping he can come to us instead, perhaps later in the year, but I am worried about the whole thing over there now. Czech did really well at the beginning, but it's not good there now :-(
Sometimes I wish he had never gone.

The situation obviously isn't good here. Rising numbers of cases with one of the highest infection rates worldwide, high numbers of deaths and nowhere near enough vaccines all point to a pretty bleak situation.

However, the govt have put new measures in place though for at least the next 3 weeks which hopefully should lead to a fall in numbers and vaccines are supposed to be arriving in greater numbers in the near future so it is anticipated that we'll be out of the woods by the end of Summer, so there is some reason for optimism.

It has been decided that vaccines will be allocated based on age and from today over 70s can apply for vaccination, as can teachers. My mum has been able to get both her jabs (she's in her 80s) but it is unlikely that I'll get mine until later Spring/early Summer. I was on the extremely clinically vulnerable list in the Uk but that counts for nothing here as it's purely based on age, not medical need.

IMO we should be prioritising vaccination of prisoners and POs. I would happily delay my own highly anticipated jab to enable that.

I don't expect it to be a popular opinion!

Even in that prison above which is full of sex offenders? Not sure how they are more deserving than teachers but each to their own.

The situation obviously isn't good here. Rising numbers of cases with one of the highest infection rates worldwide, high numbers of deaths and nowhere near enough vaccines all point to a pretty bleak situation.

However, the govt have put new measures in place though for at least the next 3 weeks which hopefully should lead to a fall in numbers and vaccines are supposed to be arriving in greater numbers in the near future so it is anticipated that we'll be out of the woods by the end of Summer, so there is some reason for optimism.

It has been decided that vaccines will be allocated based on age and from today over 70s can apply for vaccination, as can teachers. My mum has been able to get both her jabs (she's in her 80s) but it is unlikely that I'll get mine until later Spring/early Summer. I was on the extremely clinically vulnerable list in the Uk but that counts for nothing here as it's purely based on age, not medical need.
That's good news at least, some optimism.
Thanks for the update KB xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.