Coronavirus (2021) thread

M18CTID

Here in Sheffield loads of pubs and cafes advertising for staff urgently as demand this week took them by surprise and they're extending opening hours, guess the same in Manchester based on what I saw Monday.

More trade means more business for brewers, street traders, decorators, barbers etc etc.

Great to see.
Yep. Oddly, but somewhat predictably, the bounce back has probably overwhelmed a lot of the businesses in the hospitality sector. I suppose it's a welcome problem to have and far more palatable than still having to remain closed.

No doubt things will calm down a little in the coming weeks, but while there's very little in the way of positive consequences of the pandemic, the way hospitality has had to adapt and improvise could be a great thing going forward. I can see Al Fresco dining and drinking being much more of a thing despite our much vaunted weather even when it's deemed to be safe to eat and drink indoors. There's now loads of provision for outdoor dining and drinking in suburban pubs and in town, particularly in the Northern Quarter. Also, this policy that many bars adopted last summer when we came out of lockdown of just scanning your phone onto a QR code on your table (which then pulls up a menu), ordering your drinks, and having them brought over knocks the shit out of having to queue at a crowded bar and seeing other fuckers get served before you when you were there first.

davealvers

Prof Paul Hunter, professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, said the discovery could be cause for significant concern.

"These two escape mutations working together could be a lot more problematic than the South African and Brazilian variants who have only got one escape mutation," he told The Guardian.

"It might be even less controlled by vaccine than the Brazilian and South African variants."

‘Could’ be a lot more problematic

‘May’ be even less controlled

M18CTID

I think you’ve read something in to the post which isn’t there. I think Ian Brown is a dickhead.

I don’t believe this is a fake virus. I don’t believe it was ‘planned’. I don’t believe the vaccine is anything other than a vaccine.

But ask yourself honestly do you think governments will hand back all of the additional power they now have over the public just like that. They won’t. And you know they won’t. As for the other poster saying the lockdown ended on Monday. I’d class not being to able to go inside restaurants, football and not leave the country as a lockdown still. I feel sorry for anyone who truly thinks 21st June will be anything like what they imagined. It’s at that point I think there will be riots.
The situation on June 21st will be infinitely better than it was on January 21st mate so I doubt very much that there will be riots

grunge

‘Could’ be a lot more problematic

‘May’ be even less controlled

You work with the info you have at the time, Best guess as it were. As the WHO have said over and over. if you wait till you know everything you have already lost as by then its taken hold and is impossible to stop.

better to react and be wrong than not and be dead.

Bluemoon dan

Yep. Oddly, but somewhat predictably, the bounce back has probably overwhelmed a lot of the businesses in the hospitality sector. I suppose it's a welcome problem to have and far more palatable than still having to remain closed.

No doubt things will calm down a little in the coming weeks, but while there's very little in the way of positive consequences of the pandemic, the way hospitality has had to adapt and improvise could be a great thing going forward. I can see Al Fresco dining and drinking being much more of a thing despite our much vaunted weather even when it's deemed to be safe to eat and drink indoors. There's now loads of provision for outdoor dining and drinking in suburban pubs and in town, particularly in the Northern Quarter. Also, this policy that many bars adopted last summer when we came out of lockdown of just scanning your phone onto a QR code on your table (which then pulls up a menu), ordering your drinks, and having them brought over knocks the shit out of having to queue at a crowded bar and seeing other fuckers get served before you when you were there first.

What's that old saying? Necessity is the mother of invention? It's been really interesting to see how pubs and bars have and are adapting to this and the long term benefits they'll get. There are several pubs near me who previously had bits of waste ground where they stored their barrels and allowed people to stand and have a fag that now have really nice beer gardens with tables and grass down!

unicorn

What's that old saying? Necessity is the mother of invention? It's been really interesting to see how pubs and bars have and are adapting to this and the long term benefits they'll get. There are several pubs near me who previously had bits of waste ground where they stored their barrels and allowed people to stand and have a fag that now have really nice beer gardens with tables and grass down!
Waste ground, useable pavements and old storage containers are more important than location right now.

Healdplace

ONS estimates of infections in UK show fall from 185,000 estimated to 130,000 in most recent data (wk to 10 April)

1 in 500 UK testing positive

England down from 1 in 340 to 1 in 480

Wales down from 1 in 800 to 1 in 920

N. Ireland down from 1 in 300 to 1 in 710

Scotland down from 1 in 410 to 1 in 500.

Figures just cited on BBC.

Last edited:

unicorn

ONS estimates of infections in UK show fall from 185,000 estimated to 130,000 in most recent data (wk to 10 April)

1 in 500 UK testing positive

England down from 1 in 340 to 1 in 480

Wales down from 1 in 800 to 1 in 920

N. Ireland down from 1 in 300 to 1 in 710

Scotland down from 1 in 410 to 1 in 500.

Figures just cited on BBC.
Great stuff.

That's an estimated 1 in 500 WITH the virus, isn't it, rather than 1 in 500 testing positive on a particular day etc?

Don't have an account?

Register now!
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.