Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would love an experts take on the data from the Guardian from that institute Tony Blair is behind.

It breaks down the impact of hospitalisations and deaths depending on Vaccine type with very interesting results.

Based on around 37 million doses given the resulting cases and deaths are reportedly recorded AFTER at least 1 dose (and seemingly just rounded to nearest so approx).

AZ: 20.6 million first doses / 1 million second

321 positive cases - 1.49 per 100K population

22 deaths - 0.1 per 100 K population.

Pfizer: 11 million first doses / 4.4 million second

626 positive cases - 4.1% per 100K population

40 deaths - 0.3% per 100 K population

I imagine there are many caveats here. One I can think of is age distribution of the vaccines that may have varied. And whether length of time since vaccination is factored in

But should help the AZ vaccine gain some confidence back at least.

Would love an experts take on the data from the Guardian from that institute Tony Blair is behind.

It breaks down the impact of hospitalisations and deaths depending on Vaccine type with very interesting results.

Based on around 37 million doses given the resulting cases and deaths are reportedly recorded AFTER at least 1 dose (and seemingly just rounded to nearest so approx).

I imagine there are many caveats here. One I can think of is age distribution of the vaccines that may have varied. And whether length of time since vaccination is factored in

it doesnt really offer much without the age breakdowns, like you mention, and the co-morbidity instances of the recipients (which, again, are usually linked with age). tough one. dont see a significant result there without a lot more info.

I understand and agree.

But I presume these are reasonably low numbers either way and there will obviously have been a higher percentage of over 60s in those numbers given that the total indicates this is fairly recent cut off point and the over 60s were targeted first.

May have asked before, if so apologies, does any other country break down the ages of those who have tested positive? Also given that the initial policy was to vaccinate all over 50's plus vulnerable it seems mad to have an age bracket as wide as 40-59. I wonder if the vast majority of those case were under 50?
Wales used to do - not sure if they still do - but their numbers are so low these days daily that they are not really very probative.

Same reason I do not post the age split of the hospital deaths. They are now fairly meaningless given the numbers where one or two cases can seem to change everything but may just be a one off event.

Scotland did and Ayrshire used to post them here regularly. But similar caveats apply I suspect.

The N Ireland weekly data is going to be similarly les useful soon but I have been tracking it in here every few days for months now so you can see how it has changed - from over 20% of the cases being in the upper age ranges and far fewer in the younger. The pattern ha changed in the past 4 months or so presumably through the impact of both the lockdown and the vaccines.

Last edited:

Interesting data, and here's the original source:

Blair's institute argues for releasing a full breakdown so it can be properly understood.

I think most of the deaths may be from COVID itself, as I read the paper.

Zoe App data today:

Cases up 32 to 1163 - been in the 1100's all week so far.

Ongoing symptomatic cases fall again (as they have daily for months) - by 834 to 23, 913.

These are for the UK remember. Not England.

The only four regions now in the mid pink zones are Scotland, Wales, North West and NE & Yorkshire.

All the regions further south are in the lowest tiers of infection rates.

The reverse was true a few weeks ago.

I see Cambodia, a country that has effectively been Covid free from the outset, is now battling a surge in cases as the country takes lockdown/curfew measures to try and contain it. I think Thailand have also seen a sharp increase in cases.

A sombre reminder of the long road ahead and that the battle with Covid is far from over despite the great progress made on these shores.

View attachment 14742

Not sure I'd fancy 20 years in a Cambodian jail.

Cambodia accused of using Covid to edge towards ‘totalitarian dictatorship’ | Global development | The Guardian
The new variants are so much more infectious. What used to work to contain it no longer does.

Another government scientist wants us to remain in lockdown. As only 23 people who had at least one jab 21+ days beforehand were subsequently hospitalised with Covid (and didn't die) it won't make much difference except to get us closer to herd immunity more quickly - unless a new varriant comes to the party of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.