Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
By what you wrote, when he was peeing it was trickling out when he went to see the doctor, i think he possibly had the symptoms for quite a while before making that appointment.

I was at work one day a few years ago and was having to go to the toilet around every 20 minutes. I knew straight away what it was so went to the doctors who arranged a psa test. That came back at 5.7 so I had a biopsy which was negative. I've had two scans since and they test my PSA every six months. It fluctuates between 6-9, up and down. My consultant said I have a benign prostrate which can raise it. So long as it doesn't shoot up they'll just monitor it. Get checked pronto bloke's at the first sign.
No mate, he'd had the symptoms for just a few days when he rang the Doctors, he was really aware of what it could have been. The Oncologist said he was one if the unlucky ones and he couldn't have done anymore.

No mate, he'd had the symptoms for just a few days when he rang the Doctors, he was really aware of what it could have been. The Oncologist said he was one if the unlucky ones and he couldn't have done anymore.

Ahh okay. It is a slow burner for a lot of people so can be developing without any symptoms which is unlucky.

That was pre Delta which is VERY infectious.

And even with Delta now 100% of all cases as the report says we are still seeing cases fall.

As so many have caught it already because of that infectivity. And the vaccines have stopped half of those who would have done and/or minimised them that they never knew they had it.

THe vaccine was ALWAYS created to prevent the need for hospitalisation and NOT to stop you catching it.

Minimising severity is and always has been the main aim of all vaccines. And was here from day one.

You will find many people in here saying that before the first jab last December. So it is not retro thinking to cover up failings.

And the number is 1 in 25 will catch it double vaccinated if in contact with someone spreading Delta.

That is a better result than expected. AND cases are milder for those who do catch it.

Sometimes the headline is there to mislead in the media. By accident or design.

The headline here is certainly not the main story.
The education on this has been predictably abysmal to the point that it has contributed to vaccine hesitancy. People still think that they have the vaccine and then they are instantly invincible but this was never the case. The media are the worst for it, they quickly reported horrendous initial clinical data against infection/Delta months ago but they never revised that when the real far more improved figures vs hospitalisations came out.

Potentially preventing infection was always a bonus of getting vaccinated. This data gets even worse with Delta and it's not necessarily because Delta is worse but rather because Delta is the least studied variant vs the vaccine because it has only existed as dominant in the UK for a few months.

A more interesting variant is the Beta variant which is dominant in Africa, this one is supposed to be more elusive when it comes to the vaccines where protection starts to suffer somewhat. However, Delta is far more infectious and so Beta has never managed to become dominant here.

Maybe we actually have a slight interest in maintaining infectivity and maybe that is the governments stance? At the moment Delta protects us by it's high infectivity and if the vaccines protect us from serious illness from Delta then we certainly have a reason to maintain coexistence.

What we really want is an extremely infectious variant that the vaccines are incredibly effective against. IE, they don't prevent infections but no-one gets ill. If we can lock that into the population then the pandemic is basically over here. If you think along these lines it seems obvious why the government is so concerned with freedoms like freedom day but extremely hesitant and tetchy about our borders.

Is it just me that finds that disappointing? Only 50% less likely to catch it, not what was sold to us that.
Not surprised in the slightest. I caught it double jabbed. My wife did. My brother now has. It's bee apparent to me for quite some time that the effectiveness of the jabs against Delta is being downplayed to keep vaccine uptake as high as possible. I totally understand that preventing death is reason enough to have the vaccine of course, but a point I made earlier is that the goalposts keep moving here and we've moved subtly but surely from "defeating" the pandemic to minimising the harm from it.

LATEST WEEKLY ONS SURVEY OF COVID ANTI BODY % OF POPULATIONS BY AGE

The data comes from testing blood donors and antibodies created by catching it or vaccination

BY NATION LAST WEEK / AS NOW (A week or so old too this data so likely higher still today)

ENGLAND 91.9% / 93.6%

N IRELAND 90.0% / 90.7%

SCOTLAND 88.6% / 92.5%

WALES 92.6% / 93.2%

BY AGE % AS NOW - ENGLAND ONLY BUT OTHER NATIONS SIMILAR

17 - 29 89%

30 - 39 95.3%

40 - 49 95.7%

50 to 59 98.3%

60 to 69 99.1%

70 - 84 99.4%

These numbers may be all you need to understand why cases are falling.

Even if we cannot achieve herd immunity these numbers are bound to be reducing the severity of this epidemic as they keep on climbing.

The rise in the younger ages has been the fastest and as they have been the main driver of this Delta peak in past weeks and so may be the key to why it has flattened off so fast despite opening up.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if other nations do these weekly antibody surveys?

Would be interesting to know if there is any correlation between their numbers and cases.

WALES DATA

4 deaths - was 6 last week

608 cases - was 588 last week

7.4% positivity - was 7.2% last week

159 patients - was 145 last week

21 ventilated - was 26 last week

FAIRLY FLAT

NB: IN THE VERY SMALL PRINT AT THE BOTTOM THEY DO SAY THAT THIS IS ONLY 22 HOURS DATA FROM YESTERDAY NOT 24. SO THAT MIGHT MAKE IT A SMALL UNDERESTIMATE

Last edited:
ZOE APP DATA

More falls again - though a bit smaller

Predicted cases down just 636 to 46, 906 - fallen daily now for 10 days from nearly 63K

Ongoing symptomatic cases down 11, 867 to 755, 323 falling for 5 days now after rising more and more slowly for previous week. From a high of 806, 741. About the fall of two days ago but below yesterdays 15K drop/

The two highs of 63 K daily and 806, 741 ongoing infections were the most Zoe has ever recorded in its history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.