Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 million of the most vulnerable is good news and will surely soon start to have an impact on deaths and illness. I can hear an ambulance siren as I type this. Such horrid times for people. Sadly in some ways the combination of how contagious this latest strain is and the vaccine roll out getting faster will help us get to a higher degree of immunity quicker. Not far off a million people catching it in the last week I would imagine. Circa half a million officially and I would imagine same again not actually tested. 20 percent of Manchester of London have already had it already.
The problem is that I know 2 people who tested positive in March and again in December. Apparently Ferrán Torres too.
Which suggests Immunity is transient.

This is one of the reasons why the govt's current plan to vaccinate the over 70s then open up will fail.

Whilst reducing deaths massively, it will prevent less than half of ICU admissions, but almost certainly provoke a huge spike in infections, which could easily put them back to higher than now.

Personally, I don't think a policy to hospitalise millions of u70s and keep ICUs overstretched is right.

Johnson's "we can start to relax by mid feb" is doomed; I only hope the inevitable u turn comes sooner rather than later.
Yes, February is insane as a target. Easter looks the earliest rational target, and that's iffy.

The problem is that I know 2 people who tested positive in March and again in December. Apparently Ferrán Torres too.
Which suggests Immunity is transient.

It's only just long enough since the first wave for proper research on this.

That suggests you are 10x less likely to become infected if you've had it before, and that reinfection is much less likely to be serious.

Only two reinfection cases were found in the study; both were asymptomatic.

Since the vaccine is getting rolled out in stages and the first stage is:-

Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers

Followed by:-

80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers

can anyone tell me what these people are queueing for?

Surely you'd get a letter or whatever to tell you that it's your turn and when & where to turn up?

Letter to my Dad, then you have to go on line and book a slot. The letter states if you don't have a computer you can call the local surgery and they will book for you but you must give them a mobile number or email address where they can send confirmation (friend or relative if necessary). The booking is good, I think it was 3 minutes intervals right up to 21:57 in the evening, it's a drive through in my Dad's case at Hyde Active Centre for the Biontech/Pfizer jab.

Hancock said that as of now, over 200,000 people are being vaccinated each day. With it seems one million vaccinations this week and the fact that the Oxford vaccine was only used in six hospitals until Thursday when it was rolled out to GP surgeries etc then the rate of Pfizer vaccinations has clearly hugely increased.

This coming week will be the first when mass roll out is in full swing so its not fanciful to expect around two million vaccinations. If they can get around that and supplies are available then you would expect further increases as more vaccination sites open.

Too right fucking they do. They're making enough money out of this crisis as it is.
In-store Covid marshalling should be mandatory.
The CEO of Morrison's is an Ashton lad called David Potts, went to the same school as me, Hartshead, he's a blue as well so hopefully he's reading this, if he is:

David, you earn £6m a year, sort this shit, ffs, you could become the most popular "shop keeper" in the country, even Napoleon would approve.

annoying anecdote time;

a friend of mine with 2 toddlers was forced to sell his house and move in the autumn (reasons not important) and his purchase fell through in early december. Anyway, they stayed with the in-laws for a month but have just been given a holiday house to stay in while they sort themselves out. Within the first day of moving in, they had been reported to the police 3 times. The police came twice and were perfectly happy with the completely reasonable situation.

This is a curtain twitching snitch state UK i dont like to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.