Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one "likes" having to wear a mask, but if it helps other people and helps the NHS then it's worth it. If it helps prevent, or shorten, any future lockdown then it's worth it.

There are a sizeable number of people in this country who just don't care less for others at all.

Covid is not "an NHS problem" or a "govt problem", it's "every person in the UK and around the worlds" problem.

We need early and decisive action.

But 'We do not think it is time for plan B right now' is the government response on BBC just now - saying scentists are looking at the data all the time.

Which is kind of like the 'obsession' this thread (or presumably just me!) has been accused of having with the numbers.

I get that.

BUT if you ignore the numbers you are behaving just as unwisely as being obsessed by them.

The truth is you have to balance these things.

As I keep saying hospital numbers ARE the key ahead of cases but these are now steadily rising across the UK. Deaths are rising. More older people are catching it which feeds into more rises. There is a change in direction as was inevitable as seasons move.

BUT the bigger change is the attitude of its all over we are back to normal that the government is fostering by ignoring its duty to inform. Either by accident or design.

The change in the more crucial measures than cases was to me the point rising cases became more than just academic and were feeding into deeper problems coming up - and whilst I do not think lockdowns are imminent they WILL be coming if we just sit and watch and hope this all goes away again.

The window of time to stave that off is narrow.

Last edited:
I haven't got any analysis but you don't have to be a scientist to understand that wearing a mask can prevent, or at the very least substantially reduce, airborne transmission. Why do you think doctors and dentists have worn them for
years?

As others have said, it's no big deal, is it? Whats the harm in doing your bit to give everybody a chance to live more normally. Locking down affects so many businesses that it would be a disaster for them and the economy in general. Yet wearing a mask is such a small price to pay to live normally.

The scientists agree that the masks work and there is evidence from other countries who have more sensible policies that the case numbers are lower.

I've yet to see any evidence that says wearing a mask is a bad thing.
There is no conclusive evidence that they make a difference either way.

There is no conclusive evidence that they make a difference either way.
Not true:

There were significantly fewer COVID-19 cases in villages with surgical masks compared with the control villages. (Although there were also fewer COVID-19 cases in villages with cloth masks as compared to control villages, the difference was not statistically significant.) This aligns with lab tests showing that surgical masks have better filtration than cloth masks. However, cloth masks did reduce the overall likelihood of experiencing symptoms of respiratory illness during the study period.
Source

Plus loads more examples here

The news on Zoe today is even grimmer unfortunately!

Records galore and only N Ireland and Scotland NOT in the highest watch zone as every England region shoots upward.

Last edited:
Looks like Sajid is going to tell the over 50’s to stop being selfish and get their boosters. The younger people will have only have had their 2nd jab in the last 3-4 months so the oldies need to pull their fingers out.

There’s plenty, lots of research papers have been done showing they do. Not only that, they create a behavioural change in social distancing that adds to the effect they have.
So how is the impact of mask wearing extricated from the impact of the behavioural change and why do you think you have the right to enact behavioural change on the population at this stage of a pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.