Coronavirus (2021) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure it‘s cheered you up no end.

Haha, perhaps not the answer I was hoping for, but always better to be told straight I suppose, no point in sugar coating it (not that I'd know...).
Lost mine for about 2 days I think it was (back in March so memory isn't great!)
Was unwell for about 3/4 days which curbed my appetite, and then when I started to feel better and actually want to eat something that's when my sense of taste and smell had gone.
It was a pretty quick loss, but it also returned just as quickly, wouldn't say it was gradual for me on either losing or regaining it.

It's a proper mind-fuck when you're eating cos you know exactly what it should taste like, whatever it is you're having.
Remember doing some beef super noodles once my appetite started to return and wanted something easy to do and eat. It was like I'd forgotten to sprinkle the flavour powder sachet over them.
Having a bacon sandwich was depressing cos a lot of the enjoyment of that is that lovely bacon smell.

I've mentioned before but I really wish I used that senseless window to eat some healthy stuff I don't like :)

A proper mind fuck is exactly how I'd sum it up. Haven't lost any appetite, don't feel congested in the slightest, but there's just nothing there when trying to taste or smell anything. Almost inhaled some aftershave the other night after spraying a pool on my hand just to see if I could get any hint of a smell. Seems like again quite a range of time dependant on the individual, hopefully I'm a lot closer to your experience in that regard than grunge's sister in law.

Mrs has just had a positive test result back from yesterday.

She's got very mild symptoms; slight upset tummy, slight cough and feeling a bit groggy. Nothing for me yet, test on its way through the post...

Rather hoped we'd get through the whole show... Made a note in my diary. Simply says: "Bugger".

Good luck to you both, speedy recovery.

I've not seen anything about negative reactions to either Pfizer or Oxford in the UK so I wonder if the 15 minute observation period can be scrapped. You would expect some people to have said by now if they experienced anything more than say receiving the flu jab. I read recently that in the Oxford trials the numbers of people reporting a reaction was not too dissimilar if they had the vaccine or the placebo!

I've not seen anything about negative reactions to either Pfizer or Oxford in the UK so I wonder if the 15 minute observation period can be scrapped. You would expect some people to have said by now if they experienced anything more than say receiving the flu jab. I read recently that in the Oxford trials the numbers of people reporting a reaction was not too dissimilar if they had the vaccine or the placebo!

The placebo used in the Oxford trial was actually a real vaccine for a different bug (I forget which one).

I vaguely recall reading, alternatively, that the reason was
(1) so people on the placebo actually got some benefit
(2) So the likely reactions were more similar than if saline was used, so participants couldn't guess which arm they were on.

Not sure what the reality was, I'd guess (2)

Here you go, from the phase I study published in the Lancet

The meningitis vaccine was indeed used as a comparator to improve blinding.

Nevertheless, there were more systemic reactions to the covid jab, summarised here:

None of these were judged serious.

gr1b.jpg

The placebo used in the Oxford trial was actually a real vaccine for a different bug (I forget which one).

(2) So the likely reactions were more similar than if saline was used, so participants couldn't guess which arm they were on.

That's interesting and it wasn't spelt out in the article I read even though it had quotes from the Oxford team.

I think that in the interests of speeding up vaccinations even more then the 15 minute rule is overkill as around 4 million doses have been administered in the UK already with seemingly no issues.

You cant get in the drs so go for the obvious first and work back , you have to be shown by a dr how to displace the crystals , sometimes once is enough if the dr does it
And, as I know, it more often doesn’t.

There was a general medicine programme on Radio 4 one afternoon last week. It was about the effects and non effects of placebo and notebook. Some strange results come out from both. It was a bit hard to follow whilst driving but your post has reminded me to look it up and listen carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.