Coronavirus (2022) thread

The deaths are inevitably rising a these lag the big jump in cases pre Christmas by a coupe of weeks or more. So they are a sad legacy of the passage through the age ranges. Very few under 30 are dying. Though some are. The vast majority are over 60. And always will be. Cases have mostly up to now beem in the younger age ranges - 19 and under especially, then 20 - 39. Very few in the over 60s. As those Northerm Ireland diagrams I post here now and then show.

But as these also show the numbers in the over 60s have been edging up in the past two weeks alomgside signifucant jumps in care home outbreaks in both N Ireland and Scotland (10% of all cases from staff in these from the entire 2 years of the pandemic in the last 2 weeks and half that much in residents).

So this Christmas/New Year has seen a big transfer into the more vunerable ages which the media are ot reporting. If it is happenimg in those two countries you can bet it is in England with the potential for big numbers.
~
If deaths go up in coming days I suspect these will be a big factor in why.

haha. So, can cats catch it? We've all just got over a dose of it in our house.
There have been a few reports I think.

Indeed I recall over 2 years ago - first time I ever heard of Covid. Before the first cases in the UK arrived (this was around December 2019) a news report I read serialised from a British guy who caught it whilst living in Wuhan and he claimed his cat did too. But I don't think it was ever investigated and I imagine if it was that common or serious in cats vets would have been talking about it and advisng what to do. I have not seen them doing so.

As I recall there is limited evidence of human to cat transmission but it is rare. And no real evidence of cat to human transmission. So possible but not really a big thing that vets are actively tracking or treating I would suggest is the current view.

There have been reports with dogs too but much as above human to pet and not many.

Last edited:
There have been a few reports I think.

Indeed I recall over 2 years ago - first time I ever heard of Covid. Before the first cases in the UK arrived (this was around December 2019) a news report I read serialised from a British guy who caught it whilst living in Wuhan and he claimed his cat did too. But I don't think it was ever investigated and I imagine if it was that common or serious in cats vets would have been talking about it and advisng what to do. I have not seen them doing so.

As I recall there is limited evidence of human to cat transmission but it is rare. And no real evidence of cat to human transmission. So possible but not really a big thing that vets are actively tracking or treating I would suggest is the current view.

There have been reports with dogs too but much as above human to pet and not many.
I'll just give the cat Lemsip, then ;)
Cheers, bud.

a minor benefit in the older populations, negligible elsewhere.

Thanks for proving the point I've made for weeks though. Glad to know we're all in agreement that 3 v 2 makes negligible difference and your own posted data proves it unequivocally.
It will make a difference once the efficacy of the second jab wanes. Leave it a year rather than a few months, and the number who were at 2 jabs and no boosters will be miles higher. Everyone on their second jab on that data will only recently have had it as it’s from May to December 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couple of domestic cats it was proven and also loads of big cats in zoo's and wildlife parks caught it
Right...so my cat actually might have caught it? Oh well...I did tell it to get vaccinated, but she always thinks she knows better ;) I better check on her....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.