Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

now that our leagues have been postponed indefinitely until they can be completed , just to ensure the dippers get crowned champions. Surely a lot depends on the leagues in the rest of Europe, if they decide to void the current season how can ours be postponed ? Not to mention what happens with the transfer window!

If they insist on finishing the season in the summer what happens to the transfer window? Teams might be missing several players and coaches to the virus,then trying to put out a team and buy and sell at the same time

It is fucking madness
Not just transfers either, normally the qualifiers for the two European competitions are played in July, so if they have to be played later than that when does the new league season start? Everything is going to have a knock on effect however they try and accommodate the dippers lifting the trophy.
Do they scrap the new winter break to try finish the domestic league and cups before the euros start in June? It’s hard to see anything really working other than voiding the season.

Not just transfers either, normally the qualifiers for the two European competitions are played in July, so if they have to be played later than that when does the new league season start? Everything is going to have a knock on effect however they try and accommodate the dippers lifting the trophy.
Do they scrap the new winter break to try finish the domestic league and cups before the euros start in June? It’s hard to see anything really working other than voiding the season.
they are becoming more stupid every day,just basic health and safety says players can't play for several obvious reasons

they are becoming more stupid every day,just basic health and safety says players can't play for several obvious reasons
Aren’t they just, and all of the above is without the players getting a rest in between seasons and the euros, oh and they have to fit international breaks in somewhere as well!

I will admit that I'm greatly missing football. In ways that I'm only becoming aware of now, for more than fifty years the season has structured my winters. Even when I lived out in China and Japan in the early eighties, I glued my ear to the big short wave radio I'd taken out with me to find out how Billy McNeil was doing at steadying the ship (just looked up his record: it was better than I had remembered it) In summer I console myself with cricket, up to a point. I do have strong other interests, but as I say, football has structured life in my winters.
With all the junk stripped aside — the obscene amounts of money now involved, the baleful influence of UEFA, of FIFA, the Great God satellite television (all of these are linked, of course), the growing tendency for the administrators of our clubs to regard us as ‘customers’, whatever the fuck that means, the over-sanitisation of stadia since Heysel and Hillsborough (good and bad points can be argued, of course), the repulsive play acting that is second nature to all top level footballers these days, and now this new work of devilry, VAR — it is still the most simple, accessible and beautiful game that has yet been invented for human beings to come together on this planet. Two jumpers thrown down in a local park to make ‘nets’; or the massed tiers of a great stadium in full cry.
It is a game, and it is more than a game. Yes, I'm missing it.

This post along with Oakiecokies made me think more about the game we all love, whatever team we support.
It's funny, sad, disappointing and expected to a degree that this thread about COVID seems more taken up with a concern about LiVARpool, when surely it should be about a terrible threat to lives...…... and to a much smaller degree, the way in which many of our own lives and routines will change.
The whole thing has made me think about how poorly the game is run by FIFA at the very top down to the lower leagues. What about it being a game "for the people" and affordable for the people...or even affordable for the teams to play and compete.
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, makes most things seem great, but what about a return to Divs North/South, local derbies supporting local communities.
The idea we could have 30% of "smaller clubs" going into to administration is a terrible thing not just for those local communities but the whole of the "football pyramid". FFP as another board member said, being loosened could allow more help for those lower down.
Maybe the ONLY good thing that can come out of this whole thing could be a long hard look at the way the game is run now and how maybe things need to change.

Does anyone really think - apart from Liverpool and other teams that were chasing promotion, that the season will be played out if it encroaches into next season? Realistically we have another 4 months minimum, we haven't got anywhere near the worst of it yet , people's attitudes will change. Even the suggestions of playing games behind closed doors is ludicrous when you think of the implications , you need 2 teams, officials , coaches etc all to be risk free . They'll need to be tested continuously, can't see that happening when essential services/staff aren't getting that at the moment.

Personally i think they bottled it yesterday. As are the organisers of the Olympic games.

Monaco Grand Prix cancelled - full stop - go again next year if possible get on with dealing with life

This post along with Oakiecokies made me think more about the game we all love, whatever team we support.
It's funny, sad, disappointing and expected to a degree that this thread about COVID seems more taken up with a concern about LiVARpool, when surely it should be about a terrible threat to lives...…... and to a much smaller degree, the way in which many of our own lives and routines will change.
The whole thing has made me think about how poorly the game is run by FIFA at the very top down to the lower leagues. What about it being a game "for the people" and affordable for the people...or even affordable for the teams to play and compete.
Nostalgia is a wonderful thing, makes most things seem great, but what about a return to Divs North/South, local derbies supporting local communities.
The idea we could have 30% of "smaller clubs" going into to administration is a terrible thing not just for those local communities but the whole of the "football pyramid". FFP as another board member said, being loosened could allow more help for those lower down.
Maybe the ONLY good thing that can come out of this whole thing could be a long hard look at the way the game is run now and how maybe things need to change.

The main threads about it are in the off topic section mate.

Does anyone really think - apart from Liverpool and other teams that were chasing promotion, that the season will be played out if it encroaches into next season? Realistically we have another 4 months minimum, we haven't got anywhere near the worst of it yet , people's attitudes will change. Even the suggestions of playing games behind closed doors is ludicrous when you think of the implications , you need 2 teams, officials , coaches etc all to be risk free . They'll need to be tested continuously, can't see that happening when essential services/staff aren't getting that at the moment.

Personally i think they bottled it yesterday. As are the organisers of the Olympic games.

Monaco Grand Prix cancelled - full stop - go again next year if possible get on with dealing with life

Monaco Grand Prix normally takes place round the back end of May. Le Mans 24 hours is being put back to September and that’s in mid June, no way is this football season being completed. From a City point of view we would all have loved it back on to see what we could have done in Europe and the fa cup. The quarter final would have been this weekend, bigger things take precedence and with what will happen in the coming weeks the appetite from certain people in football to finish it as soon as will be gone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.