Coronavirus: Football Discussion Thread

The reports reflect Trump's desperate attempts to lay the blame for the US economic disaster and his own mishandling of the virus at the door of China. Every tinpot dictator in history has used scapegoating as a political weapon. Trump is leaning on his intelligence services to come up with an answer that fits his narrative. In other words if the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
Think you've left the kids glue pot lid off too long. China have some serious questions to answer, as does the initial handling of this pandemic by WHO. Whatever you feel about Trump , his initial reaction to close borders was correct and decisive. An action that he was lambasted for and generally derided as further proof of being a racist. His critics now say he didn't act soon enough and have changed their tune. The US economy has done well under Trump, it's fairly cler that this virus has fucked the WORLD economies not just the US. Our economy has collapsed . Many countries are up shit creek . There's some pretty clear evidence that China covered up the outbreak for some weeks before admitting to it on a world stage. Its likely that the virus came from one of their labs due to poor practices and spred through their wet markets ( markets that they had previously said were shut down). China sealed off Wuhan province form rest of China yet allowed people to travel abroad, thereby spreading it to rest of world. Countries damaging others usually suffer some form of reparations.

Love how they have dreamt up plans that someone after 15 pints couldn't of thought remotely sensible yet when academy football and below was mentioned
Fuck that off there's a virus out there killing 1000s havnt you heard, way to dangerous
No need to bother with sporting integrity just get it cancelled sharpish
It's got shades of Partridge and his monkey darts idea.

They're going to (be forced to) leave their families for several weeks to play a number of games of football, what's the issue there ?
Farcical isn't it. I mean, of all the batshit crazy suggestions I've seen so far, that's clearly the most unworkable. The players will simply tell them to fuck off, and quite rightly so.

At the very most, there are a handful of squads that have a vested interest in getting this season finished. For the rest of the players, the prospect couldn't really be any less appealing:

"Right lads, we need you to come back to training so we can get matches going again. But it won't be proper training, so you'll go into those games completely undercooked and tactically unprepared. You'll also be far more likely to get injured because massages aren't allowed. There won't be any fans watching these games and you'll have to live in a hotel for 6 weeks and not see your family. Oh, and you may get seriously ill and/or die."

Only a fool is not scared of what this virus can do, i'm scared of catching it, it's a bit like playing Russian roulette. Chances are i'll catch it, chances are i'll survive but there's a small chance i won't and no one can stop it killing me. The same for all my family. Why belittle someone for being sensible. It's like we're living in a fucking school yard

Exactly. Some see admitting to being scared as being a weakness, quite the opposite for me

3 confirmed cases within Cologne FC. Doesn't say who they are, staff or players but it does confirm what we all know and that is football is not and never can be safe as its impossible to adhere to social distancing rules.

No doubt Manchester City have huge amounts at stake in completing the 2019/20 season but I doubt there are any football fans who want to watch football at the moment. Football is going to have to bite the bullet.

Technically, if football is creative they could play the CL is a country that's virus-free. Germany might be virus-free in a month, or Australia, China, South Korea etc. There will be countries who could host an event. It could be set up like the World Cup or European Championships where players are holed up in a hotel for 3 weeks. There's round 16, Quarter Finals, Semi-Finals and Final left. Six games max. Three week operation. The Premier League? Unlikely. If it's safe for players to train as a team when the rest of society is told it's not safe to even gather in a small group in a park at the weekend.
‘Holed up’ ?
They’re not cattle, they are human beings with families who are probably anxious about going to the supermarket, never mind flying halfway around the world for a bit of entertainment !
Good luck with persuading a footballer
to go and play in China!

What happens in the relegation battle, say it comes down to the final few games..... what would happen if one team "magically" got infected with the virus........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.