Cost of living crisis - how are you all doing?

Weird thing to say about a country with lower home ownership rates than the US, Canada, Australia, Ireland, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, the EU as a whole.
Do these countries fetishise home ownership? Are citizens who rent regarded as failures in life?

I doubt it. I doubt it, big time.

I would also ask - are their houses relatively affordable for people on average incomes? (As they used to be in the UK.) Is most of the country's wealth tied up in property, or is there more diversity in investment?

Do these countries fetishise home ownership? Are citizens who rent regarded as failures in life?

I doubt it. I doubt it, big time.

I would also ask - are their houses relatively affordable for people on average incomes? (As they used to be in the UK.) Is most of the country's wealth tied up in property, or is there more diversity in investment?
With buying normally far cheaper than renting, it is just a rational economic decision if you can save a sufficient deposit.

Giving more security in PRS is exactly what the Renters Reform Bill was supposed to do, however Landlords are selling up due to it.

I always understood you needed full NI payments for X amount of years? Nevertheless, even that on its own isn’t enough to “retire” comfortably on.
You do, but as long as the unemployed register and attend job centres and jump through their hoops they are credited with full NI.
See

We are focusing on two very different sides of it. I am not for one second arguing the extremity of it, or the scale at that end of the spectrum.

It has been going on nearly 3 years though, and there is no sign of any decreases, and society as a whole continues to pay whatever the increases are. Till that changes, it will run on.

The media can't really call it a cost of living shitshow though, I guess.
We’ve always had price increases I can’t remember a time when they’ve gone down which I think your saying and I agree with, but the safety nets have fallen with a tight squeeze on welfare benefit and it’s plunged a quarter of million children into poverty that is what’s concerning me.
I don’t know what we can do about it only shop around for the lowest prices and continue giving to charity because the future looks bleak for the have nots.

I know I will likely get a lot of stick for this.

Me and my Mrs have we decided aren't having kids, because we believe that we cant afford to bring them into a world and give them a good lifestyle. We are far from being poor, we do ok for ourselves, I just believe far too many people have kids without thinking about the financial consequences of making that decision.

I am bitter about how much we pay in income tax/national insurance, I would he happier if this was reduced significantly and I didn't have to pay for the non-working class society that seems to be growing at an alarming rate.

Cost of living, we have done quite abit to reduce our outgoings, changed broadband supplier, removed all TV packs apart from netflix, no tv licence, swapped car for a cheaper one, this has just about covered the increase in our mortgage.
Serious question....do people actually think about not having children for financial reasons. If so, why did nobody tell my wife just before our half hour knee trembler on the patio in Fueteventura. Ah the memories.....

We’ve always had price increases I can’t remember a time when they’ve gone down which I think your saying and I agree with, but the safety nets have fallen with a tight squeeze on welfare benefit and it’s plunged a quarter of million children into poverty that is what’s concerning me.
I don’t know what we can do about it only shop around for the lowest prices and continue giving to charity because the future looks bleak for the have nots.
The article below is a damning indictment of where we are in modern day Britain.

Guardian Article on Modern Day Poverty

Last edited:
Serious question....do people actually think about not having children for financial reasons. If so, why did nobody tell my wife just before our half hour knee trembler on the patio in Fueteventura. Ah the memories.....
Only lunatics, imagine neanderthals not procreating due to the financial pressures haha.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.