Cost of living crisis - how are you all doing?

This is why bluemoon is a joy to me . Cost of living crisis and the price increase for a bag of frozen water in waitrose crops up . Waitrose is great on a Monday morning for half price meat and fish on the counters. Booths is also cheaper than my local butcher for most cuts of meat . Shame as I like the banter and giving the local butcher the trade . Booths also do a weekly fresh meat and fish deal starting and changing every Thursday. Every little helps
I know! But there are some products where there is no or little justification and that is the most basic. Own brand cereal flakes(Special K) is another. Waitrose and Tesco versions have absolutely identical nutritional information. and therefore are almost certainly made in the same factory and are, in fact, the same product. 20% more in Waitrose.

With buying normally far cheaper than renting, it is just a rational economic decision if you can save a sufficient deposit.

Giving more security in PRS is exactly what the Renters Reform Bill was supposed to do, however Landlords are selling up due to it.
Of course! Why haven't I, and countless other people, considered this?

If only I'd been saving all of that spare income I have after paying ever increasing rent, bills, and costs of essentials (while trying to maintain some kind of life outside of working and surviving) while my salary has remained pretty stagnant, then I'd have a house by now, and not be in a worse financial situation than ever.

Bloody coffees and avocado toast. If only I'd seen sense and never bought them.

Althought considering I was made redundant 3 months ago and have been struggling to find work renders all that irrelevant when I can barely afford to eat.

Althought considering I was made redundant 3 months ago and have been struggling to find work renders all that irrelevant when I can barely afford to eat.
Bad times, Blue. Fingers crossed you’re able to find something suitable soon and kick on from there.

Of course! Why haven't I, and countless other people, considered this?

If only I'd been saving all of that spare income I have after paying ever increasing rent, bills, and costs of essentials (while trying to maintain some kind of life outside of working and surviving) while my salary has remained pretty stagnant, then I'd have a house by now, and not be in a worse financial situation than ever.

Bloody coffees and avocado toast. If only I'd seen sense and never bought them.

I wouldn’t get too cross. The person you’re replying to is some form of robotic actuary that lives in a vacuum. If you need a stat or want to know the probability of anything, he’s your man.

If you’re after empathy or humour, look elsewhere.

I’ve always believed you spend what you have unless you’re super rich.
Thats not really the case if you’ve been brought up with any financial responsibility.

Those struggling to make ends meet will always spend everything they have as there really is no choice and that’s who should be targeted if there are any tax cuts in tomorrow’s autumn statement.

Those who are a bit better off from my experience fall into 2 categories.

• Those who are generally happy to take on lots of debt to keep up with the perceived lifestyle they should be having based on social media and what their friends do. The previous owners of my house definitely subscribed to this. A new Porsche Macan Turbo and a BMW X6 M on the drive, loads of expensive designer gear etc, but up to their eyeballs in debt.

• Then there’s the other group who don’t fall into the trap and live well within their means without being miserly. Not going down the lifestyle inflation route when they get a bonus or pay rises.

The very wealthy, unless they got it easy, are generally more savvy with how they spend their money than the majority of people on normal salaries.

I’ve always believed you spend what you have unless you’re super rich. Wealthier people will, by and large, have bigger houses and more powerful cars. They’ll spend more at the supermarkets etc. When good pubs in affluent areas are struggling then you know it’s serious.
The bars and restaurants are busy with footfall, but the overhead's are killing them.

I work for a small chain of 4 pubs and the owners were telling me that to make the same profits of a few years ago they should be charging £8 a pint

Im self employed, just me doing floor cleaning and polishing.
So deep cleaning anything from marble floors to carpets. From expensive restaurants to a lounge in a 2 up 2 down.

Ive been trading 16 years so business is steady but for the first time in a LONG time im worried

Run up to Christmas is usually pretty hectic on the domestic side but not so this year. Jobs are trickling in rather than flooding as usual. Plus im getting cancellations, some very last minute, customers budgeting what they can and cant afford before xmas. Many of these customers have been with me since the day i started so they arent ‘messers’. They are genuinly apologetic and have explained that they just cant afford it.
Ive just took a call from a customer who was booked in all day on thurs, needs to cancel as just cant afford.
Highly unlikely i will replace that job at such short notice now . She was so sorry, and shes used me for donkeys years. Just cant afford.

Contrast that, im today working in a restaurant in what is quite an affluent village, every time i drive past it seems busy. Just spoke to the owner and i asked how business is and he said “hanging on by our finger nails”.
Same with a restaurant/bar across the road that had a fuckin fortune spent on doing it up maybe 5 years ago. Its now closed 3 nights a week to cut costs and stave off administration.

I know thats a tiny micro example of my industry so may not be the same in other business but its created a worry for me.
Ha ha...know the feeling well. You should be alright after 16 years trading with good customers....dont reduce your prices though in the vain attempt you'll win customers.
We have a small comercial laundry whereby 99.9% are trade...holiday rentals, restaurants, B & Bs etc etc. We usually manage to scrape through until mid january before telling the girls they aren't needed until easter, we told them last week........We normally have a cull of our ' not so good ' customers and are turning down new ones,....not this year, I'm on the phone doing my sales and marketing interview without coffee routine. I'm even going out of my way for clients I wouldn't usually. And... this is on top of a 20% price rise. We've lost a few clients mainly to Covid ( 2 died ), price increases whereby clients have just closed and the Welsh governments hair brain scheme of hugely taxing rental properties that dont show more that 183 days rental....we have a rental property as well and we have nothing booked in from the end of next week...nothing at all...scarey times, buckle up, we've all been here before.

Gonna start to make sour dough bread, you know, proper stuff as if it’s got yeast in its fake.

I’m gonna put in a linen bag, under my sleeping bag in corner of my tent as well, because it could last a week for toast, problem is I’ll have to nip into town to see if I can borrow a lighter to light my fire and then I’m sorted for toast for a week at least.

Apart from that all is ok for now

33% increase in utility bills plus my loans and now maxed out credit card covered by my monthly wage. Making me rely on OT to feed myself.

But inflation has halved so I'm supposed to feel better about my situation.

Finances shit. Grateful for everything else I have. Although I understand the mental stress of debt can make people break.

33% increase in utility bills plus my loans and now maxed out credit card covered by my monthly wage. Making me rely on OT to feed myself.

But inflation has halved so I'm supposed to feel better about my situation.

Finances shit. Grateful for everything else I have. Although I understand the mental stress of debt can make people break.

Stop going on fucking strike then :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.