COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spanish Flu also attacked the immune system, which this does not, thus killing healthy-aged people too.

It’s a totally different flu mate.

Think of the numbers involved though. 40million dead and 500 million infected.

I’ve read figures from decent sources saying at least 20% of ppl with Coronavirus are hospitalised. If the spread isn’t contained then it will put massive stress on the NHS. That’s my main concern at the moment.

To be precise, Spanish Flu didn’t attack the immune system (any more than any infection does, that is) — the “inexperienced” immune system of a young person who was infected overly aggressively attacked the person to try to purge the virus, causing many complications that often lead to death, including organ failure.

It is why it had a bimodal mortality rate (mortality was high in people younger than 5 years old, 20-40 years old, and 65 years and older) and why it flummoxed medical professionals at the time, as they had a fairly rudimentary understanding of normal immune response. It also killed so many people partly due to the timing of the outbreak (WWI).

But it is very important to note that we really don’t know if COVID-19 actually doesn’t impact younger people as much as the old/infirm (who are always an at-risk population for these types of viral infections). The data is far, far too limited to make such conclusions.

And we don’t yet know it’s impact on all age and health quality cohorts by economic strata and healthcare access. It could very well have substantial impacts on younger populations in certain regions.

It is also worth offering another reminder that the current confirmed numbers are all but certain to be much lower than actual numbers, both due to the natural limitations of early data collection (real assessment can’t really take place until after an outbreak cycles finishes) and artificial constraints to reporting and assessment (China restricting data access and/or suppressing reporting and Iran not having the systems or expertise to accurately report).

The BBC are reporting that many cases go unregistered because many of the people who catch it have symptoms that just appear like the common cold, do you think this is true bud? I feel because the government haven't taken a position on this yet that the conflicting reports that people put out confuse rather than help.

The BBC are reporting that many cases go unregistered because many of the people who catch it have symptoms that just appear like the common cold, do you think this is true bud? I feel because the government haven't taken a position on this yet that the conflicting reports that people put out confuse rather than help.
I have posted many times about part of the underreporting being due to many mild cases not being recorded/confirmed (that is part of the ‘natural limitations to data collection’).

Getting the feeling mass panic is on the verge of setting in worldwide.

Perhaps not here just yet unless we see a sharp increase in cases but in countries like Italy where it seems to be spreading like wildfire I think in the next week or so we will see people really lose their minds over this whether it’s warranted or not.

Scenes from 28 days later are going to commonplace, as popular busy landmark locations are left virtually empty, food shortages will be next as panic buying sets in, schools will shut which means people can’t get to work and we all just barricade ourselves in our homes and wait for the looting to start.

Let’s just hope it happens before Liverpool mathematically win the league and the season gets wiped from history. And if not, at the very least, they won’t get to have their 8 million strong parade, that provides me with a glimmer of comfort

I have ashtma so am in the more vulnerable grouping, and as I have needed steroid treatment for bronchial issues before, I am probably dead if I get it ;-).

This WHO myrh busters 0age is funny, some of the stupid prevension methods going round are plain daft

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters
My personal ‘favourite’:

Does putting on sesame oil block the new coronavirus from entering the body?

No. Sesame oil does not kill the new coronavirus. There are some chemical disinfectants that can kill the 2019-nCoV on surfaces. These include bleach/chlorine-based disinfectants, either solvents, 75% ethanol, peracetic acid and chloroform.

However, they have little or no impact on the virus if you put them on the skin or under your nose. It can even be dangerous to put these chemicals on your skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.