COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
email from one of my parents at school after I contacted him to check on welfare of his son:
Yeah thanks Sir , X is kicking a ball about and trying to occupy himself really difficult not allowing him to mix with other kids at moment especially when the other kids are all mixing outside but I've explained the severity of the situation to him thanks again

This is what we're up against.

I was listening to the Top Flight Time Machine podcast today and Sam Delaney said a neighbour knocked on his door to tell him his car boot was open. So he went out, closed his boot and got talking to the fella. The guy's wife then shouts something to them both as they're chatting away. Sam then asks him how his wife is and the guy responds by saying 'she's only gone and got that coronavirus. She has to self-isolate'. So Sam then asks him shouldn't he be in isolation too and the guy responded by saying 'nah, I don't have any symptoms so I'm alright'.

Madness.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-may-infected-half-uk-21748044

I know it is andectotal but the amount of people I have heard say they had the worst flu ever in the last two months would support the above theory.

If the above is correct maybe we could be further along the curve than we think and closer to the peak? Maybe clutching at straws but would be great news if true.

The missus and I went to her Sister’s on Christmas Day and they were all down with the flu... we managed to last till our son’s wedding on the 28th of December till we got any symptoms.. but then we went downhill fast... the worst bout of flu we’ve ever had.. I really hope it was the same virus but I worry it was too early..

It took us almost four weeks to shake it

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-may-infected-half-uk-21748044

I know it is andectotal but the amount of people I have heard say they had the worst flu ever in the last two months would support the above theory.

If the above is correct maybe we could be further along the curve than we think and closer to the peak? Maybe clutching at straws but would be great news if true.

If true, why weren't unusually high numbers of people being hospitalized and dying in January? Unless they were and it was hushed up

Being the boring person I am I have just got my tape measure out to show the wife the gap of two meters ....she was shocked , if we keep two meters apart our front room is only just wide enough lol
Here in Ireland the HSE is the equivalent of the NHS in the UK.

They are being quite innovative and thinking outside the box.

They are now enlisting couples married over 7 years to give instructions on social distancing.

Just a hunch - you didn't study statistics or any form of randomised testing at school.
Correct. I'm always open to hearing from people with expertise (but I'm not sure that's you); I'm not sure what you mean by randomised testing. If you mean randomised control trials, you'd have to test people to see if they'd got/had the virus before you could introduce the variables and eliminate biases.

Question - is it possible that a significant number of people in the UK have had it? Answer - I don't know. Clue - test a few hundred at random. Clueless - don't.

My Mrs is due back at work tomorrow for a counter service hardware chain. Shes the manager and whilst they arent letting customers into the branch, she still has 3 work colleagues and her boss there. Any sales will be via click and collect only, outside the front of the branch. That's as maybe but the way these places are planned behind the counter there is minimal aisle widths so the team are likely to be within 2m of each other. She seems quite calm about it all and anything I say gets shut down with a snap. I asked her to wear a mask which we have and shes refused in the basis that she will be the only one wearing one, FFS these arent fashion items I told her. Am I being too overly concerned? I dont think I am tbh. Right now i feel like texting her divisional boss who i know as an acquaintance to tell him exactly what I think about it. Clearly She would not want me to do that but this is how strongly I feel about it. We have a 12 and 19 year old at home and I have mild COPD.
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt. Put. The. Fucking. Mask. On.

True that we can believe what we like but just know that if it was my mother who died from the virus I'd be highly insulted by anyone saying that it was her own fault for being human.
That’s a bizarre leap from what I’ve said. I think you are failing to distinguish between perception about our impact as a species and having compassion for individuals. It’s a perfectly normal distinction to for someone to draw. In fact I’d go as far as to say that someone who is unable to draw that distinction, is mentally deficient.

You don’t think we’re having a negative impact on the planet as a species?

It's just cultural norms. Some cultures think nothing of eating insects whereas most of us find the thought of that abhorrent.

On the other hand, some cultures find our habit of eating lamb, i.e. baby animals, really offensive. And yet most if us give it little or no thought.
My grandpa being Sardinian ate lamb heads without batting an eyelid (nowadays he refrains luckily) but has always been horrified by people eating horses. Similar to UK culture I think. It doesn't help that he's been living in a northern town where horse meat is a common delicacy. Horse meat is tasty btw.

Correct. I'm always open to hearing from people with expertise (but I'm not sure that's you); I'm not sure what you mean by randomised testing. If you mean randomised control trials, you'd have to test people to see if they'd got/had the virus before you could introduce the variables and eliminate biases.

Question - is it possible that a significant number of people in the UK have had it? Answer - I don't know. Clue - test a few hundred at random. Clueless - don't.
Yep, testing ten people at a tube station will give you empirical, longitudinal, hard-nosed, scientific results. I suggest you give the WHO a bell; they'd be bowled over by your thesis. "I don't know". Clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.