COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. But just because I am not an expert on Italian nor Spanish epidemiology, does not mean "we got it right". It's perhaps to do with where the outbreak started, the demographics infected, their social norms - we don't go around hugging each other like they do in other countries for example? I really have no idea.

so your constant bollox about we are two weeks behind Italy isn’t true then as we have different social norms , different healthcares system eh?

the numbers are still the numbers.

I might be wrong but i think someone like that should be able to go and get food on their own,if she is healthy ,the distancing rules are the hard bit,just been reading about those dying from it have to die alone and on the other end of nature women having to give birth on their own,it is mad,still can't quite get my head around it
Yes it is hard, one of her sons visited her yesterday with his 5-year old lad and they were speaking through the front window, the kid couldn't work out what was happening as he loves a hug from his gran.

so your constant bollox about we are two weeks behind Italy isn’t true then as we have different social norms , different healthcares system eh?

the numbers are still the numbers.
Whatever you get off on mate, is fine by me. My usual bollocks about being two weeks behind Italy, btw, rather than bollocks is demonstrable fact. I called it, it happened. Whether it will continue along the same path, remains to be seen. Hopefully not.

Letter to my MP on 9th March: "1. On February 23rd - two weeks ago today - Italy had less confirmed cases than we do today. Both the UK and Italy have seen exponential growth in cases at the rate of around 30% per day, resulting in the 7,000+ cases and hundreds of deaths in Italy over the last 2 weeks. The UK is seeing exactly the same rate of increase. In 2 weeks time, 6,000 or 7,000 people in the UK will be confirmed cases and we will have many tens of people dead, possibly hundreds. In 2 weeks. This is happening NOW. If you do not believe me, please keep this email and look at it in 2 weeks time."

23rd March: Cases - 6,180. Dead - 335.

Last edited:
The habit / ritual of multi family visits to parents / grandparents on sundays did not help.

also I don’t know this for a fact but I am just guessing as they are so family orientated that when a lockdown was threatened instinctively they thought get all the family together so we can look after each other.

instinctively in a family centric society that’s the obvious thing to do but actually it is the worst thing to do.

The story in Europe seems to be that Italy had a big early hit and thay are suffering as a result and the rest of Europe adopted the measures required on the back of what happened in Italy. Spain seems to be worse than the rest but if you factor in population size the rest are all fairly equal.

The notable on this graph is the US who are not doing the right things and you can only imagine where that will go.

Some Asian countries who are doing very well. If you look at the measures that they took and what China ended up doing and where China got to. The question is will western countries be able to respond in the same manner as South Korea.

ET9OI5KXQAgiMMV
Isn't that all irrelevant though because it's only test numbers.

The story in Europe seems to be that Italy had a big early hit and thay are suffering as a result and the rest of Europe adopted the measures required on the back of what happened in Italy. Spain seems to be worse than the rest but if you factor in population size the rest are all fairly equal.

The notable on this graph is the US who are not doing the right things and you can only imagine where that will go.

Some Asian countries who are doing very well. If you look at the measures that they took and what China ended up doing and where China got to. The question is will western countries be able to respond in the same manner as South Korea.

ET9OI5KXQAgiMMV
The vertical line needs to be per 500,000 population to get comparative totals. It looks like the UK is doing very well to be honest.

New symptoms do include sense of smell and taste,also gastro problems,i can vouch for the squits the first couple of days and passing blood (sorry)

Ear nose and throat drs reporting roughly half the cases lost their taste and smell and china reporting similar now

Expert they have on jeremy vine,,Chris Smith

The most detailed breakdown of symptoms of the disease comes from a recent World Health Organization analysis of more than 55,000 confirmed cases in China. Here are the most common symptoms and the percentage of people who had them:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200310/know-the-symptoms-of-covid19

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-digestive-symptoms-are-common

Last edited:
Totally agree.
You only see the effect of Government measures between 7 and 11 days after introducing them. That's due to the incubation period of the virus and how long the measures effect (serious) new cases.
On deaths you are going back even further because it takes people on average 3 weeks to die from first symptoms.
Both (serious) new cases and deaths are pipeline processes with the (serious) new cases pipeline feeding into the deaths pipeline.
Aa such the current death rate of around 26% day on day increase is the effect of what the government were doing about a month ago.
The real horrific thing about this is you need to flatten the serious new cases curve whilst getting the virus to spread sufficiently to give you some herd immunity so come autumn the virus doesnt come back to hit you hard like Spanish Flu did.
Success or failure will be clear with a retrospectascope this time next year.
But vaccines are under development across the globe, and we can now test quickly for the virus and antibodies to it so there's no need to build immunity, yet that does seem to be exactly what we are doing. We seem to be fine-tuning the infection rate using gradualistic social measures. The population are guinea pigs, particularly health workers who are most at risk.

had we had the tests that we have now in January, I don't believe that the infection would ever have gained a foothold in Europe and America, if you believe otherwise, then the controlled infection policy makes sense. There is one other argument that might make you hesistant about shutting down the economy and that's cost but perhaps it costs more to drag it out?

I don't think the Coronavirus taskforce are being that honest about what their objectives are. Are they trying to wipe the virus out asap, or are they trying to protect the old and vulnerable whilst infecting the bulk of the population who they judge will largely survive until such point as society acquires sufficient immunity to protect itself from round 2?

Whatever you get off on mate, is fine by me. My usual bollocks about being two weeks behind Italy, btw, rather than bollocks is demonstrable fact. I called it, it happened. Whether it will continue along the same path, remains to be seen. Hopefully not.

Letter to my MP on 9th March: "1. On February 23rd - two weeks ago today - Italy had less confirmed cases than we do today. Both the UK and Italy have seen exponential growth in cases at the rate of around 30% per day, resulting in the 7,000+ cases and hundreds of deaths in Italy over the last 2 weeks. The UK is seeing exactly the same rate of increase. In 2 weeks time, 6,000 or 7,000 people in the UK will be confirmed cases and we will have many tens of people dead, possibly hundreds. In 2 weeks. This is happening NOW. If you do not believe me, please keep this email and look at it in 2 weeks time."

23rd March: Cases - 6,180. Dead - 335.

As of today we will be 16 days behind Italy in terms of deaths. And that is NOTHING to do with recent measures it is the measures in force one month ago
(Time to incubate the virus [5-14 days] + time to die after first symptoms [21 days]).
The only thing that probably would have made our stats better is the introduction of family isolation on first symptoms very early on.

Last edited:
They weren't very gracious in defeat,i was talking to some in dominos after the game and even though i was saying you played really well and it was a tight win for us they were angry and bitter,did they really expect to beat us

I didn't speak to any, most I came across were aggressive and singing anti City songs or that champions of Europe song.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.