COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn’t - and thanks :-)
One of The interesting thing about that article is the date. 20th January. If the U.K. had started ‘war planning’ at that time, in a similar way to the South Koreans we would be in a far more secure position on every front. There was nothing stopping us doing similar other than leadership.

Number 2 son is an NHS doctor working on the South coast. With most routine visits cancelled, they are very quiet and have mostly now completed their prep for the virus. Lots of staff (including him) are having quite a lot of time off. Next door neighbour is a GP in Northampton. She is currently on holiday at home because the surgery is so quiet. Finally, my Dad is in hospital in North Wales. My brother has been to visit him and said the hospital is near deserted with lots of parking spaces. Probably the lull before the storm but let’s be hopeful.

Another thing worth mentioning:

I have just put the post and the newspaper in the oven for 30 minutes. Apparently Coronaviruses are rendered non-infectious by 30 minutes at 75C, so I am giving it 30 minutes at 90C to be safe.

Provided you don't have a gas oven and you keep your post/newspaper well away from any heating element, this might seem like an easy and worthwhile precaution. 75C isn't going to set fire to anything.

The survival abilities on the surfaces of eight different materials and in water were quite comparable, revealing reduction of infectivity after 72 to 96 h exposure. Viruses stayed stable at 4 degrees C, at room temperature (20 degrees C) and at 37 degrees C for at least 2 h without remarkable change in the infectious ability in cells, but were converted to be non-infectious after 90-, 60- and 30-min exposure at 56 degrees C, at 67 degrees C and at 75 degrees C, respectively.

https://europepmc.org/article/med/14631830

3 things - 1. I'd love to hear from Maverick...
2. That's from 2003 and there seem to be significant variations in how long SARS 1 and SARS 2 last on various materials, so that may be the same with the effect of temperature.
3. Trusting the research which said SARS2 could survive on cardboard for 24 hours I just leave paper and post alone for 24 hours (and trusting the starch-based compostable packet for the Weekend Guardian behaves like cardboard more than like plastic)...

Number 2 son is an NHS doctor working on the South coast. With most routine visits cancelled, they are very quiet and have mostly now completed their prep for the virus. Lots of staff (including him) are having quite a lot of time off. Next door neighbour is a GP in Northampton. She is currently on holiday at home because the surgery is so quiet. Finally, my Dad is in hospital in North Wales. My brother has been to visit him and said the hospital is near deserted with lots of parking spaces. Probably the lull before the storm but let’s be hopeful.
Think it’s out of order having a favourite son. You should love them all equally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.