COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
And 140 of the rest were probably from the day before that.
No up to the 7th apparently

NHS England has recorded 765 new deaths in hospital from coronavirus.

It said that 140 of them occurred yesterday, while 568 took place between 1 April and 7 April.

The remaining 57 deaths took place in March, including two on 19 March and one on 16 March.”

Is there any positive news compared to what we’ve seen in Spain and Italy at similar stages in their outbreak?
Yes. This is the 3rd day on the bounce that we're below the logrithmic increase trend line. This probably means the peak really will be on Sunday or Monday.
If so, it's highly likely that we will be behind Spain and Italy in mortality statics per head of population. (France and Begium too).

There is clearly no benefit in trying to use the '24 hour' death toll as any sort of indication of how things are going as the figures are a total mess. Today's only include 140 from the previous 24 hour period whilst the majority are from April 1st to 7th but also there are others from March.

Guardian reporting:

Germany’s army
is donating 60 mobile ventilators free of charge to the UK following a call for help as the NHS scrambles to get hold of enough life-saving equipment as the Covid-19 pandemic intensifies.
The German ministry said it would not invoice the UK for the ventilators.
More than 480 ventilators have arrived in the UK from overseas since March. They have been bought or donated from China, US, Germany, Sweden and Taiwan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...latest-updates#block-5e8f24518f08008f091a00a7

Nah.
If you get it and you're in the danger group you probably die.
Lot's more people have had it than the statistics show.
It's not (over all) as lethal as the statistics show.
It probably is more infectious than the statistics show.

All of that is conjecture except the first point. You can't give someone a mild dose. It's down to the health of the individual as to how serious it becomes.

My take and i've got my armour on all ready: " lock up the vulnerable and get everyone else out". But vulnerable means anyone who is obese, has diabetes, is old, has hypertension etc. etc.. that is a lot of people to keep out of the way for a few months.
What I read was "By adhering to stringent hygiene measures, it can be expected that the virus concentration in the event of an infection in a person can be reduced to such an extent that the severity of the disease is reduced, while at the same time developing immunity." I didn't see it qualified to disapply that to vulnerable groups.

While nothing seems conclusive, "Higher viral loads have been associated with increased severity in some but not all viral diseases" (a hypothesis from SARS research in 2004).

There is clearly no benefit in trying to use the '24 hour' death toll as any sort of indication of how things are going as the figures are a total mess. Today's only include 140 from the previous 24 hour period whilst the majority are from April 1st to 7th but also there are others from March.
The daily numbers are being used to indicate progress,when the peak will be etc,with the recording of deaths how they are it is all they have got to use death rate wise

The report given earlier by the GMP which can be found on the bbc news site has seemed to have woken up a few people judging by the comment section, positively in meltdown and not all shedding Manchester in a favourable light...no doubt inflamed still further that Firemen were called to attend a problem on the 34th floor of that monstrosity of s building bang in the middle of the town...City...evidently someone had a lit up a bbq last night...lest said soonest mended on that one. Manchester getting a proverbial today....
I hope shops are not selling charcoal.

Is there any positive news compared to what we’ve seen in Spain and Italy at similar stages in their outbreak?
Spain went into lockdown on 14th. In the preceding 72 hours there were 4,114 new cases. A similar figure for the UK was 2,392, which suggests that Spain was more infected at lockdown.
Deaths for equivalent time frame were Spain 141 UK 129.

So at the time of respective lockdown the UK was in a better position.

All things being equal the UK should plateau soon and in a week be on a downward curve such as Spain is now.

No up to the 7th apparently

NHS England has recorded 765 new deaths in hospital from coronavirus.

It said that 140 of them occurred yesterday, while 568 took place between 1 April and 7 April.

The remaining 57 deaths took place in March, including two on 19 March and one on 16 March.”
Yeah but I'm saying yesterdays figures would include catch ups and also the day before that as well. It's a pipeline process so what happens in the pipeline today probably happened yesterday too.
If it isn't then the numbers will crash next week when we pass the peak.
I was working in this field as part my day job from 2003-2006. What matters is that the data is recorded against the correct point in time not when it was reported.

Last edited:
Just had our weekly video conference. One of my colleagues is in isolation in Madrid and said the same. They know from the increase in electricity usage and internet activity that large numbers have gone to the coast.
Maybe to flats that would normally have been rented to Brits!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.