COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sod everything and stay at home,it's not worth the risk from your starting position,stay well

Would if I could but need to work for the money. To top it all off, a guy I work with is currently on holiday in Taiwan, he's due back a week on monday.

I’m seeing people pass the buck a lot. They think because they are not elderly and don’t have underlying health issues, the calls for regular and thorough hand-washing etc don’t apply to them. Every single person in this country, bar none. None. Needs to change their behaviour to help delay the spread of the virus. Stopping it is impossible, but we need to delay the spread as long as possible to give the NHS more chance of coping. And that responsibility is on absolutely everybody. If you’re not already hand-washing more often than normal, you need to understand the importance of it. Nobody is saying it’s going to stop you getting it. It probably won’t. But it gives the country a better chance of dealing with it longer-term. Today’s 100 cases will be almost 100,000 in a month, and over 1,000,000 in 6 weeks. We need to be proactive and not wait for the huge number of cases before we make changes.

Last edited:
Oh that's helpful ! surely he will be told to get tested or stay off for a couple of weeks?

He's a scouser, he won't give a shit and company won't give a shit either as we've got way too much work on. I'm considering going off sick just to get away from him for a while.

I’m seeing people pass the buck a lot. They think because they are not elderly and don’t have underlying health issues, the calls for regular and thorough hand-washing etc don’t apply to them. Every single person in this country, bar none. None. Needs to change their behaviour to help delay the spread of the virus. Stopping it is impossible, but we need to delay the spread as long as possible to give the NHS more chance of coping. And that responsibility is on absolutely everybody. If you’re not already hand-washing more often than normal, you need to understand the importance of it. Nobody is saying it’s going to stop you getting it. It probably won’t. But it gives the country a better chance of dealing with it longer-term. Today’s 100 cases will be almost 100,000 in a month, and over 1,000,000 in 6 weeks. We need to be proactive and not wait for the huge number of cases before we make changes.

Indeed.

Exhibit A: This idiot right here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/us/coronavirus-new-hampshire-dartmouth.html

Quick summary:

UK — most of my family, friends, and colleagues are taking precautionary steps with a general air of “we’ll get through this”. Only a few are ignoring it completely or showing signs of panic or paranoia. Almost none are taking about it from a conspiratorial standpoint. Most live near Manchester or London, so are more immediately aware of infections and risk. Most are in advantaged positions to ride this out but think the government is mishandling the national response.

Spain — my family and friends are generally looking on at England and Italy with caution and beginning to make plans. A few have said they think the government (national and community level) should be imposing travel and public gathering restrictions. Some are not in a great position to self-isolate due to financial constraints (cost of supplies, loss of income as they cannot work from home) but are still trying to determine how they might be able to make it work. A few are planning for how to continue care of the older members of our family. Some of the younger family members are looking to the older ones to do most of the planning for them. The majority live in and around Zaragoza and Barcelona (with a few outside of Marseille) so the impact has not really yet set in.

US — quite few of my colleagues and friends are discussing the situation, some referencing various conspiracy theories, but only a few appear to be taking precautionary steps at this point. Many are skeptical of the actual risk or severity of the virus. A few have said that they have holidays planned for the next month and it would be very difficult to cancel plans (for varying reasons, but mostly financial and personal freedom related). We live in Maine (northern most east coast), But I manage teams on the west coast, as well. Nearly all have work and financial situations that would likely allow them to more easily self-isolate, if needed, but many don’t think that will ultimately be necessary. Opinion seems to be split as to whether the government is handling the response correctly.

America is an interesting one. From my experience of Americans whom are mostly air force related thus having travelled their overall view of their country mens worldly wisdom is somewhat scathing. Bad things happen in Hollywood and in other places in the world. Never in mainland America. Even American wars are fought a long way from mainland America, Sure the odd Hurricane or tornado, even an earthquake or two but nothing that fucks the whole country up.

I get the impression that if this gets hold over there and there are millions infected then it could fare worse than most, certainly worse than Europe and the more powerful and modern nations of Asia.

I stand to be corrected by any of our American posters.

Thanks, it's an interesting research. If this early study conducted on mice can end up (sometime in the future) giving a bit more time to those affected by progeria, then it's great.
There are lots of research teams focused on the molecular systems of aging, but it doesn't mean we are going to get a practical solutions any time soon. And it will never be a definitive solutions. There are lots and lots of molecules involved with aging, it's a complex and delicately regulated process as is everything in our body. Turning the whole process off seems unlikely.

But we are in a COVID-19 thread, what did this study have to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.