COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest though, if you are over 60, and/or are not in perfect health - e.g. you are overweight, have diabetes, heart disease, a weakened immune system for whatever reason - and you have not yet had the virus - then you'd be absolutely mad to just start going out to pubs and restaurants as normal straight away. Even if none of the above applies, you are taking a significant unnecessary risk.
Relative risk is interesting in this respect though. If you’re under 65 with no significant health risks, dying from this disease in Germany is the same risk as driving, or being driven, 9 miles a day. In Italy it’s 48 miles per day and, given our roads are much safer than Italy’s, I’d imagine that our equivalent is about 21. Maybe we should think about who we encourage to self isolate rather than the enormous damage we are about to do to the economy and all the other associated heath problems that will bring with it?
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.05.20054361v1.full.pdf

Relative risk is interesting in this respect though. If you’re under 65 with no significant health risks, dying from this disease in Germany is the same risk as driving, or being driven, 9 miles a day. In Italy it’s 48 miles per day and, given our roads are much safer than Italy’s, I’d imagine that our equivalent is about 21. Maybe we should think about who we encourage to self isolate rather than the enormous damage we are about to do to the economy and all the other associated heath problems that will bring with it?
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.05.20054361v1.full.pdf

Well said, it seems to me 100% of our focus is saving people who have mainly lived their lives whilst causing great long term harm and damage to those who have yet to live it.

the balance needs to be a lot better.

Must be different your part of Spain because here in SE Spain we have a communal bin serving about 10 households that we add to and it gets emptied every day except Sunday. For us it means a walk of about 50 metres to said bin.

Incidentally our collection time is about 8am and is a refuse truck with a single person to drive it so no leaving the cab. When alongside 2 arms extend to the large bin, automatically empty it and replace it.
Another truck follows and washes it inside and out automatically using similar mechanism.
Meanwhile, I watched, mouth agape, as our binmen strolled down our street yesterday, no gloves, no PPE and then sat back in the cab, 3 abreast. Not their fault, and I left a few quid for them (washed and placed in a plastic bag), but how the fuck is this allowed? We're sending people to work - and we know that a simple thing like gloves could and would reduce significantly, the chance of transmission (especially in jobs that require lots of goods handling) - yet we treat them like fucking cannon fodder. How fucking hard would it be for the government to decree that every shop worker, every binman etc has at least three pairs of disposable gloves to wear each day? It shouldn't be like this; it really shouldn't.

My kids won't be going back to school until a vaccine or something officially tells me it is safe to do so.

They can try and come for them, I've got a big fucking stick - I work from home and can just as easily home school them with my teacher wife.

It wasn't that long ago they were saying young people weren't getting it.

It wasn't that long ago they were saying for certain that you were immune if had caught it.

It wasn't that long ago they said there was no need to close the schools.

And it wasn't long ago they told me to do the right thing, work hard, save for the future.

Before they told me and my family they were on their own, not entitled to anything.

I'll do what is now right for me and my loved ones.

I don't trust these people the longer it goes on. It physically turns my stomach to hear the Americans leading and pushing the narrative, now being taken up here, that we could now be through the worst of it and we need to rescue the economy.

Bullshit - protect the people first and tear up the rules on the economy.

Let's be honest though, if you are over 60, and/or are not in perfect health - e.g. you are overweight, have diabetes, heart disease, a weakened immune system for whatever reason - and you have not yet had the virus - then you'd be absolutely mad to just start going out to pubs and restaurants as normal straight away. Even if none of the above applies, you are taking a significant unnecessary risk.
To be honest if you’re all of the above pubs and restaurants anyway but that doesn’t stop them!!

Well said, it seems to me 100% of our focus is saving people who have mainly lived their lives whilst causing great long term harm and damage to those who have yet to live it.

the balance needs to be a lot better.
Looking at the data, the number of people having angioplasty or stenting following cardiac arrest is down by about 55%. That’s people who will now have dead heart muscle and develop cardiomyopathy, if they’re lucky. We have got patients not being given curative cancer treatments and we’ve got lots of people just not presenting with currently minor symptoms that will, without treatment, see them off within 6 months.

My kids won't be going back to school until a vaccine or something officially tells me it is safe to do so.

They can try and come for them, I've got a big fucking stick - I work from home and can just as easily home school them with my teacher wife.

It wasn't that long ago they were saying young people weren't getting it.

It wasn't that long ago they were saying for certain that you were immune if had caught it.

It wasn't that long ago they said there was no need to close the schools.

And it wasn't long ago they told me to do the right thing, work hard, save for the future.

Before they told me and my family they were on their own, not entitled to anything.

I'll do what is now right for me and my loved ones.

I don't trust these people the longer it goes on. It physically turns my stomach to hear the Americans leading and pushing the narrative, now being taken up here, that we could now be through the worst of it and we need to rescue the economy.

Bullshit - protect the people first and tear up the rules on the economy.

It wasn't that long a go Cheltenham went ahead.

It wasn't that long a go pubs were open. Mental to think that for a week instructions weren't clear, people were still heading to the pubs and then they allowed for that last Friday night of drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.