COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a fan of the aristocracy, but I see Duke of Westminster has given £12.5m to NHS charity this year so far. I expect he can afford it.

A quarter of Scottish deaths linked to coronavirus have occurred in care homes, new figures have suggested.

The National Records of Scotland said 962 deaths had now been registered in Scotland where the virus was mentioned on the death certificate.

The majority of these deaths occurred in hospital, but 25% were in care homes and 13% in other settings.

In the week from 6 to 12 April, the virus was mentioned in 31% of all deaths registered in Scotland.

The NRS figures provide a wider picture of the impact of the virus on Scotland than the figures announced each day, which only cover cases in hospitals.

Just under 70% of all registered deaths involving Covid-19 were of people aged 75 or over, with the greatest concentration in the Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52292001
And that's in an area where male life expectancy is only 73 so there are fewer over 75s than anywhere else...

I've been working from home anyway but they've just told us that we're getting furloughed on a rotating 3 week basis. Surprisingly they are making up the 20% shortfall in our wages. We're a call centre that deals with multiple clients, some of them sports based, and the clients are reducing what they're paying us.

Don’t forget there are are far lower numbers of elderly populations in African and many Asian countries. Loads at just 4% of their populations over 65, many 1%.
(Great Britain 18%)

Also obesity is lower than Western counties too. Many are less than 15% and most less than 7%.
(Great Britain 27.8%)

So while it will hit many people still, since it does affect some young and healthy people, and with them having poorer health care systems; they will still have far lower numbers in terms of critical cases.
That is very true PC, but it may be that some ethnic groups are more susceptible to serious complications than others. My wife has been working in an ITU, and last week 10 out of 12 patients were of Afro Carribean or Asian background. I don't think anyone has a grip at the moment on why that is, but interestingly that sort of ratio is also reflected in the deaths of Medics in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.