COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slow wishy-washy lockdown
Algeria locked down same time as us as did Australia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Greece and some other countries and the US. Locking down after us included Zimbabwe, UAE, Thailand, South Africa, most of Saudi, Russia, Romania, New Zealand, India, Hungary, Finland etc. 250k people didn't have to go to Cheltenham, thousands didn't have to go out for one last piss up, people should have alomsot locked themselves down. People moaning about why we didn't lockdown earlier and now people are moaning about relaxing the rules.

Two of my work colleagues have told me that both one of their kids and a few on Facebook have all applied to pick fruit. Not one of them have had a reply, they applied over a fortnight ago.

Did they apply through a recruitment company? Every chance the job didn't exist and the company just wanted their CV/data or the volume of people to have applied is such that they can't get back to them - they said on the radio yesterday how many had applied. I can't remember the figure but it was an awful lot of people

Yeah, I thought that too. Unless some easement for certain employers could happen earlier. Not hospitality though.
I’d think some sectors may need longer than June, but yes extending it until end ofJune doesn’t mean everyone will be off until then

Sorry if this has been covered already, but can someone explain why we are doing worse than other countries in terms of deaths? Why are we on course to be the worst affected in Europe? Is it solely lack of preparedness/ Government incompetence or is there more to it than that?
I'm not sure it is worse. Only Belgium is reporting on all deaths (up to 3 days in areas). Spain and France now include care homes (but not as far as I can see, other deaths in the community).
I think the main reason for the high death rate is population density. Where are the deaths highest in Europe? The answer is where the population density is the highest in Europe.
Madrid, Barcelona, Northern Italy, Paris, Belgium, The Netherlands and the UK. Moscow cases are now starting to increase.
The only densly populated area in Europe that has escaped the virus is Athens and that's because they locked down early in their epidemic.

Last edited:
I'm not sure it is worse. Only Belgium is reporting on all deaths (up to 3 days in areas). Spain and France now include care homes (but not as far as I can see, other deaths in the community).
I think the main reason for the high death rate is population density. Where are the deaths highest in Europe? Where the population density is the highest in Europe?.
Madrid, Barcelona, Northern Italy, Paris, Belgium, The Netherlands and the UK. Moscow cases are now starting to increase.
The only densly populated area in Europe that has escaped the virus is Athens and that's because they locked down early.
Czech Republic are doing ok too (where my lad lives). Lots of small towns some miles from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.