COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep saying that we won't know how we have dealt with this for a long time yet. (compared to other countries)
If we never ran out of ICU beds, it means no person died because of lack of available care.
Therefore people who have died so far will have died whenever they eventually got it.
Locking down earlier will have prevented much more people dying initially. But these same people might have still got it in the subsequent waves that are predicted to come once restrictions are eased.
I do think locking down earlier would have helped care homes prepare better for the on coming onslaught, and that in itself would have saved lives.
Same goes for medics dying from viral overload and lack of proper PPE.

The economy cannot wait for a vaccine. People cannot be in lockdown indefinitely. All you can do is manage the situation, making sure proper medical care is available for anybody who needs it, when they need it.
Mistakes have been made, and i feel further mistakes will be made.
It's the long term results/figures that people will judge the government on.

I would imagine we would do things different and react better if this was to ever happen again.

I think the farmers want experienced people picking their crop. Apparently it’s not as easy as it sounds.
Picking fruit is not easy and is quite a skill to do properly and quickly enough to meet demand. Having experienced fruit pickers is more beneficial to mass producers.

There will still be many farms who take up the offers from many British novice applicants and can use them well, if they are a farm who don’t need to supply in large quantities.

News just in that the UK is to set up a taskforce to create a vaccine, shouldn't we be doing that anyway? Shouldn't we have been trying to get started with a vaccine from the off?

It's not even bloody news.

Picking fruit is not easy and is quite a skill to do properly and quickly enough to meet demand. Having experienced fruit pickers is more beneficial to mass producers.

There will still be many farms who take up the offers from many British novice applicants and can use them well, if they are a farm who don’t need to supply in large quantities.

But how will farms know if you're suitable qualified or only a mere novice. Do you have to sit a city and guilds in fruit picking.

Had a look at the farm picking jobs available and the pay is poor and any overtime paid is on a flat rate, there's also the accommodation to be paid out of any wages, I'd rather we all paid a bit more for our fruit and veg so that the pickers could get a better wage.

No wonder they are shipping planeloads of Romanians over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.