COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Different approach here from the BBC. Quite a good article because it challenges your preconceptions. Is this the start of a new propaganda campaign, or just a different perspective?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52543692

“In the UK, they calculate that those under the age of 65 have faced the same risk over the past few months from coronavirus as they would have faced from driving 185 miles a day”

A couple of things on that. 1) over the ‘past few months’ most people have been indoors/social distancing so the risk has obviously reduced but 2) driving 185 miles isn’t a highly contagious disease. I can’t pass a risk on or overwhelm public services with my 185 mile drive

In addition, the article seems to focus on deaths and not the potential life changing effects it has on a persons lungs

Different approach here from the BBC. Quite a good article because it challenges your preconceptions. Is this the start of a new propaganda campaign, or just a different perspective?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52543692

they will ramp the propaganda up a fair bit in the next few weeks.

it will be most people have mild symptoms, a lot won’t even know they even have it , mortality rate by age and where the virus really attacks. Social distancing is the most important thing and wash your hands.

it’s going to be a bit different to the last few weeks.

Propoganda would be my perspective. I got to the sentence that said 'Edinburgh University and a group of London-based academics published a paper this week arguing restrictions could be lifted quite significantly if the most vulnerable were completely shielded', and choked on my cornflakes because we have been so competent in protecting our most vulnerable citizens so far haven't we? How many more care home deaths are we willing to tolerate as an allegedly civilised society?
Wouldn't want to leave my elderly relatives lives in the hands of this bunch of politicians.
Piss up, brewery .

The son of a family friend died yesterday, aged 31, with no known underlying health conditions. However by the time of the poor lad’s death he had sores on his feet and may have been suffering from sepsis, as well as Covid 19. There may have been Preexisting underlying health issues but it might be that people are getting additional conditions as their immune systems falter from Covid - and the numbers of people being reported as having pre-existing healthI have issues could be exaggerated. I am not sure whether there has been-a study on this yet.

It’s nothing to do with that. We lockdown forever and more people will die from non covid issues. Poverty / domestic violence / suicides / cancer. Surely you can see there is a very difficult trade off?
Actually a very good point. As an older person I become much more vulnerable should I choose to use any of the new measures announced here in Spain but in the meantime normal hospital work has been highjacked by CV cases.

I will choose to self isolate whatever extra freedoms are announced until a vaccine gives me confidence for the future I have left.
I am also a cancer patient in remission but have had my 6 month hospital visit cancelled and replaced by a hurried telecon from the consultant who had to defer my questions to a new appointment next month.
Yes I do wonder how far you can stretch any medical system with a prolonged emergency.

Wouldn't want to leave my elderly relatives lives in the hands of this bunch of politicians.
Piss up, brewery .
My mother is in a dementia care home. Thankfully the people that run it are decent, competent professionals. They are subject to the daily changes in advice from our Health Service Executive 'following the science' though.

Piss up, brewery .
That's very true.

I am not sure if this BBC article heralds a new line of thought / propaganda to justify a new approach. "You should no longer be fearful, you should re-assess the real risk."

If we do this, then they need to build a ring of steel around the care homes and re-think how they are going to protect this group. And the 1.8 million shielded people at home. I think this group has been safe so far but their hearts will sink if they read this. They are not half way through their 12 weeks, they are only at the beginning....assuming this is a serious proposal. It may just be kite-flying.

Actually a very good point. As an older person I become much more vulnerable should I choose to use any of the new measures announced here in Spain but in the meantime normal hospital work has been highjacked by CV cases.

I will choose to self isolate whatever extra freedoms are announced until a vaccine gives me confidence for the future I have left.
I am also a cancer patient in remission but have had my 6 month hospital visit cancelled and replaced by a hurried telecon from the consultant who had to defer my questions to a new appointment next month.
Yes I do wonder how far you can stretch any medical system with a prolonged emergency.
There may now be space and resources to vastly improve the protection for the old and shieded population. Those in care homes must fee very scared and very isolated and probably very angry. It is the very worst aspect of this crisis.

“In the UK, they calculate that those under the age of 65 have faced the same risk over the past few months from coronavirus as they would have faced from driving 185 miles a day”

A couple of things on that. 1) over the ‘past few months’ most people have been indoors/social distancing so the risk has obviously reduced but 2) driving 185 miles isn’t a highly contagious disease. I can’t pass a risk on or overwhelm public services with my 185 mile drive

In addition, the article seems to focus on deaths and not the potential life changing effects it has on a persons lungs

There seems to be a determined effort to play down the risks of Covid 19 from right wing activists. Eight times as many people have died from
Covid 19 in Salford alone, compared to the number of people who died in the Manchester Arena bombing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.