COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the ONS data estimating how many people had it during that week good news or bad? Is the data only useful if you link it to hospitalizations and R0?

Great survey driven from my former workmates in Titchfield Hampshire.
Great survey!
Apart from my previous post on the shit show of an organisation I can now add that one of the ONS workers who volunteered for it and jacked it after the first chaotic day is still receiving packing cases of tests on their doorstep daily. All missing vital alcohol wipes and dirty boxes.

Mid April German TV said mouthwash very probably won't help.

While bacteria remain outside the mucosal body cells,
viruses are binding on the body cells and go inside within minutes.
Tthey are being reproduced there and after some time leave the destroyed cell to go on spreading.

To have a positive mouthwash impact you would have to gargle nonstop...
Can I just gargle with tanqueray number 10?

Reactions: mat
Is the ONS data estimating how many people had it during that week good news or bad? Is the data only useful if you link it to hospitalizations and R0?
I think it is very good news. Looks like it will only take around 10 years to get herd immunity as opposed to the 23 years predicted on here yesterday. I don't know about anyone else but I have already diarised going for a beer in spring 2030.

If that number had it asymptomatically one/two weeks ago it is still many (10x perhaps???) the numbers who were ill enough to be hospitalised during that period when the hospital numbers were falling fast.

Let alone the numbers who died in that period.

That is good news in terms of how many likely had it untested in the previous two months. And fits with the apparent UK death rate being higher than expected.

These are only defined by a proportion of how many had it and did not die. Which this is the first UK evidence to help decide.

Someone better at maths than me can guesstimate but I suspect it would be 1% at most. Given that even of those 10% of that number in hospital the majority do NOT die.

Last edited:
My mum had some pain in her shoulder blade on Tuesday so we ended up calling 111, actually hoping they would send us to out of hours or something. Well they ended up sending the ambulance, which obviously set off the neighbourhood WhatsApp group into thinking we had a Covid outbreak! They did her ECG and it came back fine but said they wanted to do some bloods at the hospital. This happened once before so it was following the same pattern, bloods showed some increased levels which indicate possible heart attack but levels were very low, even lower than last time. They decided to keep her in and did the Covid swab and sent it off. Well yesterday they said all the tests were fine but they wanted to do some further tests, so they kept her in overnight again telling her they would discharge in the morning and refer to outpatients. She rang me in the morning saying they had come to her bed at 1am and moved her into another ward, they told her the covid test came back positive. She had been on that ward for 2 nights, walking around going to the toilet, touching things and there were staff freely walking around without any PPE. She is asymptomatic, they don't know if she had it already or caught it in hospital. I can't see how they will contain this thing properly if they are allowing people on wards that may already have the virus and staff are not (either by choice or because there just isn't PPE) protecting themselves, while waiting 24hrs or so for a test result.

Hope your mum is feeling better.

It would not surprise me if the infection rate is high in hospitals. Not just because of the issues you highlighted but I read that nurses have been moved from covid wards to other wards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.