COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Peacock family who drove an hour and a half to a beach in Dorset, then were interviewed by the BBC and were outraged by how busy it was have gone viral! I'm quite glad of that they really annoyed me when I saw them with their elitist 'the rules don't apply to us'attitude on the TV!

I've thought that for a while.

The numbers which relate to progress seem to me to be:
- number in hospital (we get this)
- number in ICU
- number discharged
- number moved out of ICU for recovery

As it's possibly a bit tricky to get them, reporting them a day behind would be fine, as it will still show the changes.

Good stuff MMA

I know there are figures for percentage of ICU beds that are occupied by patients but this can be a bit misleading, especially now hospitals are trying to restart the their range of health services. Forty percent occupancy sounds low but is a barrier to opening up a wider range of services if ICU bed capacity was trebles in a hospital in response to the virus.

I agree with your last 2 mate.

You have every chance of a good outcome so long as you don't need to be put on a ventilator. Then it was 50/50. Larger controlled Vitamin D, Heparin and other drugs have reduced the numbers needing to go on Ventilators by about 10% but once you're there it's still 50/50.

Here is the current state of play with drugs
https://www.healthline.com/health-n...ccines-and-treatments-for-covid-19#Antivirals

I know a Medical Director of a hospital who says in the early days of responding to the virus some patients were being put on ventilators who were far too ill to recover. I’m not sure if that was widespread or not but could partly explain the very high mortality rates of ventilated patients.

The Peacock family who drove an hour and a half to a beach in Dorset, then were interviewed by the BBC and were outraged by how busy it was have gone viral! I'm quite glad of that they really annoyed me when I saw them with their elitist 'the rules don't apply to us'attitude on the TV!

Are they known as the Ostriches now??

Good stuff MMA

I know there are figures for percentage of ICU beds that are occupied by patients but this can be a bit misleading, especially now hospitals are trying to restart the their range of health services. Forty percent occupancy sounds low but is a barrier to opening up a wider range of services if ICU bed capacity was trebles in a hospital in response to the virus.

I agree with your last 2 mate.

I'm thinking what would be clear to people as a stat.

"400 yesterday, 450 today" is understandable and clear.
12.5% increase requires maths.

Weekly deaths as of 8th May.

avarage-Deaths-Week19.png

49,647 above the 5 year average since March 20th

Weekly deaths as of 8th May.

avarage-Deaths-Week19.png

49,647 above the 5 year average since March 20th

Although it's worth noting that for the 8th of May there was only 80 odd deaths registered compared to nearly 3,000 the week before due to the bank holiday, so it will be abit higher than that.

Saw that daft woman yesterday. Had me shouting at the TV!

Saw that daft woman yesterday. Had me shouting at the TV!

The BBC stitched them up good and proper with that interview didnt they! Making sure they were introduced as having travelled an hour and a half to get there. Cruel perhaps but necessary to emphasise the attitude of 'its other people who are wrong not me' that seems to be very prevalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.