COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly Northern Ireland completes the set of pretty awful numbers today.

Deaths 4 (v 1 last week)

Cases 1217 (v 828 last week) (new record)

At 5% positive (v 5% last week)

Seven day rolling cases 6693 (v 4417 last week)

14% of the number are over 60. And 60% under 40

Hospital patients 164 (up 14 v yesterday) (v 106 last week)

Ventilated patients 17 (2 up v yesterday) (v 11 last week)

Its probably been spoke to in here before but yes this is the sad reality of these numbers in NI. It has really escalated within the last 4 weeks and noone can really pinpoint the exact cause of these spikes.

I live in Belfast and here fingers have been pointed at sport, hospitality, residential settings and schools - tbh all are to blame a bit.

We now enter Lockdown 2.0/ circuit breaker from 6pm on friday with schools shut 2 weeks, beauty and hair closed 1 month and hospitality 1 month - except takeaway.

Our hospitals are sadly reaching critical stages with our nightingale hospital due to open soon. We are nearly at peak ICU Capacity.

I think NI has been treated as a case study to see if we can confine, contain and reduce these numbers within a popular of 2million.

Wales, Scotland, North West will likely all follow suit in the coming weeks.

same will happen in manchester when it happens to us

Of course it will and everywhere else that shuts pubs.

The communication from the government isn't consistent and people have stopped listening and are doing their own thing.

If the government doesn’t follow their own rules, why should anyone else?

We’re totally at the mercy of the people and sadly our dickhead ratio is too high to reduce the R number.

If informal childcare is still allowed, I'd be all for it but it won't work as this giovernment is a shit show from start to finish. They've had 8 months to get their shit in order and haven't.

It won't just be 2 weeks, it will go on and on and the economy will be gone and the country left in tatters for years.

There are too many jobs that cannot be done from home. Factory workers, all manufacturing, fire service, police, ambulance and health sector. These roles take up a significant amount of the jobs that people in this country have. The virus will still have plenty of chance to spread through these workers.

I don't know what the answer is but I think the 'circuit breaker' is just us going around in circles once more.
I dont disagree with everything you say , i would say we have to stop being close to each other , the virus needs us together , those that can work from home should continue, that a least cuts down the viruses options , the other workers will have to continue and protect themselves best as they can .The uni's are superspreader places, makes sense to stop that before they give it to everyone else . The key is reducing the pressure by a short lockdown and get testing up to date , if we dont sort out the testing then no measures will work

The pub situation and lack of live music is hard to wrap my head around. I’m currently sat in a bar who’s celebrating their birthday and there’s about 200 people enjoying a full day of acts, singing and having a great time.
We aren’t allowed to dance though...

Of 1429 cases in scotland

145 are in those aged 65+
12 of whom are aged 85+

85 are aged under 15
Including 33 whom are aged under 5

342 aged 15-24

857 aged 25-64
11% a little down today but still higher than a week or two back. N Ireland was up today too and is starting to see deaths now on a level it has not had since April/May. This cross border creep of the testing positive numbers is the real reason deaths are rising.

And whatever else we do now we are 3 weeks away from stopping the trend goingin whatever direction is will now as that is the gap from infection to death.

What baffles me the most amidst all the indecision is the weird message coming out that all those who shielded in the early months no longer need to bother now.

When the vulnerability of those people seems to be the one thing all scientists agree upon and the very obviouas reason thousands of cases are turning into dozens of deaths. Because the vulnerable are relaxing theiur contact with those catching it in the thousands every week - most of whom will not get near hospitals,

This almost seems guaranteed to force a lockdown when if that was really what they wish to avoid the vdery obvious message has to be targetted at the very people being ignored.

I have seen how it has seeped through to those older than me that I know. They think that they have been given the all clear.

Would that this were true. But they should be asking themselves - if so - why will I be the first to get the vaccine ahead of all but front line hospital workers?

I suspect the truth is that if things have got this bad this quickly, they are reluctant to bring in the strongest possible measures until its very much a last resort, not as a preemptive measure

You may well be right.

Unfortunately though, the very clear lesson from the first wave, and a fundamental implication of exponential growth, is that the more you delay, the harder and longer duration of measures you will need.

This lesson has not been learned, we have weak leaders in denial over the issue we face.

According to a paper by two of the government's leading scientific advisers, a "short, sharp" two-week lockdown over the October half-term could prevent more than 7,000 deaths.

Going into lockdown earlier before could have saved thousands of lives , the gov did not learn from that to do it when advised , this will cost thousands more , he needs to stop saying he follows the science

Todays 68 England hospital deaths were aged between 48 and 98 - and four of them - aged 65 to 93 - had no known prior health conditions.

The numbers with that caveat and the numbers under 60 have been notably rising over the past week or so.

Though inevitable given the sharp rise in total deaths.

Lockdown is pointless if you don't use it as a chance to implement a proper functioning track and trace system, we sacrificed our economy and gave ourselves plenty of time to get it right and blew it. When Oldham and Leicester had cases still they should have gone authoritarian and stopped people leaving.

We do another lockdown lose more jobs save lives and after a couple of months end up back in the same position as we fail with our track and trace.

Government should be dragged through the streets for spunking so much money and not getting a grip of the nation. Sending out some dandruff ridden scruffy **** to tell you new rules is a waste of time. Who takes that mug seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.