COVID-19 — Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
How am i being selfish and why am i being selfish?

I am self employed and work from home. Are you suggesting i just dont go out, even though i am symptom free or that everyone in the UK should lock the front door and stop contact with the outside world?

1. Because you said "Medical experts have consistently stated that the vast majority of those infected, symptoms will be mild and recovery quick with no lasting effects and i will live my life accordingly" From this, I take it to mean you will make no changes to your lifestyle, irrespective of the risks to others of you continuing to do what you always have done. That is selfish.

2. Yes, I am suggesting you stay in more (not 100% of the time necessarily) but make some changes to lower the transmission rates. We ALL need to make changes or else this is not going to get under control any time soon.

They are numbers taken from a demographic that are at far greater risk of death and that is the important point here being missed.

The mortality rate does not apply equally to all in this instance because for the vast majority of the worlds population it simply is not a lethal virus.
Which is why only 1% might die. 99% won't. (Assuming we can save 4 people out of 5 who need intensive care and that we have ICU beds, or more than 4 of them will die).

How hard is this?

Older brethren here will remember the asian flu pandemic of 1957. About 4000 ppl died in UK in the first 2 months. Many schools shut etc etc. I vividly remember the moment I succumbed, felt fine one minute, collapsed the next.
Worth remembering that in England about 7000 ppl die of flu in a typical year, mostly old or underlying illness.
Don't Panic. (Thank you, Jones)
https://www.britannica.com/event/Asian-flu-of-1957

I'm sorry, you don't seem to have read what I posted.

The 1% aspiration takes account of the fact that people are not included in the stats. We are assuming that there are 3x more people out there infected but not known to us. Otherwise its 3.4% according the WHO. (Running at 3.6% actually).

I have heard of a few people who are rough with symptoms but are not ringing 111. They are just choosing to self isolate and sit it out. Given the difficulties getting through to 111 and what will become increasingly difficult to get any medical attention I suspect many will choose to do the same. That of course will make figures more difficult to be accurate. I do think that there is a hell of a lot of have it or have had it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.