******Cricket Thread******

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I don't blame them in the slightest! I would do just the same. It's not quite as much fun as people might think, chatting to Nick Hoult from the Telegraph (yeah, a mild name drop I suppose) he was talking about how for the last Ashes where he had to stay on for the ODIs he was travelling hotel to hotel from October to the end of February. That's not remotely enjoyable. And they don't get paid that well for it, unless they're a very big name.

Most of the time they will be booked in one hotel for at least 5 days per match then have a load of free time inbetween though.

Most of the time they will be booked in one hotel for at least 5 days per match then have a load of free time inbetween though.

The Tests are a lot easier in terms of being in one place, for sure. Free time? Not so much, they end up tracking around the teams with all the press conferences and so on. And their expenses are very limited these days. In the instance of being over there for six months, the papers won't pay for a wife and kids to visit for example, and that's a long time to be away from family. The ODIs of course are schlepping all over the place. Not so bad somewhere compact, not so great in Australia or India.

Put it this way, it's not a job I would like to do.

The Tests are a lot easier in terms of being in one place, for sure. Free time? Not so much, they end up tracking around the teams with all the press conferences and so on. And their expenses are very limited these days. In the instance of being over there for six months, the papers won't pay for a wife and kids to visit for example, and that's a long time to be away from family. The ODIs of course are schlepping all over the place. Not so bad somewhere compact, not so great in Australia or India.

ODIs I can imagine being more difficult, but the rest of the time, the team itself spends plenty of time doing fuck all between tests in the evenings (apart from sometimes getting upto no good) Pretty limited amount of stuff one journo can produce per day, as well, unless you are David Lloyd.

ODIs I can imagine being more difficult, but the rest of the time, the team itself spends plenty of time doing fuck all between tests in the evenings (apart from sometimes getting upto no good) Pretty limited amount of stuff one journo can produce per day, as well, unless you are David Lloyd.

What they write and what they have to go and fulfil are pretty different things. They have less free time than you might think, I promise. Having said that, somewhere like Windies is definitely a popular tour for them to go on, and it absolutely is the case that they rarely highlight how good that is when they're bitching about being stuck behind a security cordon in Bangladesh.

I know times are tough for the papers and cricket is shrinking but that's pretty outrageous, I guess the journo's aren't really in a position of strength to negotiate from though.

I know times are tough for the papers and cricket is shrinking but that's pretty outrageous, I guess the journo's aren't really in a position of strength to negotiate from though.

Indeed. I should specify that was a different journalist to the one mentioned above who told me that.

Ended up being a good day for England, thanks largely to Anderson. Got a decent chance if we keep them below 300. Until we bat and we’re 50-5 after 20 overs...

Ended up being a good day for England, thanks largely to Anderson. Got a decent chance if we keep them below 300. Until we bat and we’re 50-5 after 20 overs...

16.4 overs. Get with the modern game, man.

Reactions: Ric
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.