Cricket Thread

Got the womens' ODI on at the moment (no football, see?). Don't usually watch the womens' game, to be honest. I have to say, it's pretty pedestrian in comparison to the mens' game. And some of the fielding is, let's be kind, average. Also, the atmosphere seems nearly non existent.

Got the womens' ODI on at the moment (no football, see?). Don't usually watch the womens' game, to be honest. I have to say, it's pretty pedestrian in comparison to the mens' game. And some of the fielding is, let's be kind, average. Also, the atmosphere seems nearly non existent.
It’s really just like the men’s game used to be. That is, a different game.
Chasing 200 in 40 overs was deemed very difficult, as was 250 in a 55 over game.
First men’s World Cup, in 1975, India needed an impossible 345 in 60 overs to beat England. Sunil Gavaskar carried his bat for the full 60 overs, as India finished on 132/3. He scored 36 off 178 balls!

It’s really just like the men’s game used to be. That is, a different game.
Chasing 200 in 40 overs was deemed very difficult, as was 250 in a 55 over game.
First men’s World Cup, in 1975, India needed an impossible 345 in 60 overs to beat England. Sunil Gavaskar carried his bat for the full 60 overs, as India finished on 132/3. He scored 36 off 178 balls!
Yes, I remember that well. Hilarious. Somebody was reported to say to him:
“It’s supposed to be about quick scoring, Sunny.” He was a very self absorbed character. Not well liked by his contemporaries.

Would that have been a record run chase in the CC? Without googling it, I can't imagine there's been too many chases over 500,successful or otherwise.
Not just the CC. It was an agonising end to an astonishing effort that, if successful, would've been the highest winning run chase by any team anywhere in the world in the history of first-class cricket by a country mile! Current record resulting in a win is 541/7, although the highest 4th innings total ever was England's 654/5 (chasing 696) against South Africa in the "Timeless Test" of 1939. It lasted 10 days and England may well have gotten over the line if the team didn't have to fuck off to Cape Town to catch their boat home!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.