Cricket Thread

Well, I confess I'm slightly puzzled. I don't remember there actually being tests anywhere other than the big six: Lords, Oval, Headingley, Edgbaston, Trent Bridge, Old Trafford. I went to all of them, except for Edgbaston, funnily enough (I think it's an age old and doubtless irrational prejudice I have against Birmingham).
Or are you saying we have more tests now? Perhaps you're right. There was only really a tour by one country in the summers, as I remember it. But then it was six grounds, and a five-test series, most of the time. So it fitted beautifully. And it was certainly affordable. Again, as for football matches, I don't ever remember getting a ticket in advance. I'd just rock up at the ground — as I did for football stadia — and just always get in.

(Arrghh! just had to edit it Old Trafford as one of the grounds. How could I have forgotten that?!)
Cardiff, Durham and Hampshire all host tests now too. It’s the counties’ biggest cash cow (outside of concerts), so they bid more to try and guarantee they get one.

Something that's always puzzled me in the area of hazy memories. I have a clear (not hazy) memory of seeing Lancashire play in that league at Buxton. Caught the train out on the Sunday to see it (and it was considerably easier for me from Hazel Grove than going in to Old Trafford. I also remember how pretty the ground was. And Clive Lloyd at (I think) cover point doing a ridiculous run-out, moving like a panther to pick up the ball and wreck the stumps in one fluid movement. The batters were trying to steal a single. Unwisely.
How is that possible, though? Unless they were playing Derbyshire. Were Derbyshire in that league, though?
Yes Derbyshire were there in those days. Durham became the 18th First class county.

Drainage is definitely better on U.K. grounds. Boundaries are definitely smaller too. You don see players running into the gates anymore!

Bats are bigger and players can hit the ball harder as a result.
I’m not sure about smaller boundaries. I went to tests at OT in the 50sand 60s and we sat on the grass at the Warwick road end. There was a distance from the edge of the terracing to the rope, enough to play mini cricket in the lunch interval.
Later, growing up, I graduated to a seat.

Cardiff, Durham and Hampshire all host tests now too. It’s the counties’ biggest cash cow (outside of concerts), so they bid more to try and guarantee they get one.

What do the poor old other counties do?! (Actually, wonder how much a county cricketer gets paid, especially if they're not in Division 1 — I suspect it's lower than I would have thought, and much lower than even a Championship footballer).

What do the poor old other counties do?! (Actually, wonder how much a county cricketer gets paid, especially if they're not in Division 1 — I suspect it's lower than I would have thought, and much lower than even a Championship footballer).
ECB money, mostly, I think.

Lancs get £8m a year from their hotel now. Plus they host conferences all year round. I guess that’s far more than they make from actual cricket.

Typical county cricketer (i.e. a few years as a professional and non-test playing) will be on 30-50k/year. Some of that is match fee and performance bonuses.

As for the 'poor old other counties', they struggle along until Surrey (and similar) take their best players. Derbyshire are pretty much always the poorest, I think.
Having said that Middlesex and Yorkshire are in the second division this season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.